Database

Those jerks! shakes fist

They couldn't even come up with an original name.

this site (and a few others) did pretty much the exact thing to the original wallbase (wallbase.cc, wallbase.net, had a few aliases) site before it went crap. even WH's UI is veeeerry similar to the original WB (except it's better). And the original WB (not sure about WH) had some bots which went out and took images from a few sites. Soooo.... yeah, I see nothing wrong here.

Yeah, its not like we aren't doing the same with these images anyway. All of our submissions had to come somewhere. At least we aren't using bots. Hell, that's probably why every once in a while the site goes down for me while I'm browsing around.

tidbit I don't think that's a fair assessment. It's true that wallbase started out by scraping 4chan a long time ago. However that's actually common practice because posts on 4chan disappear after a few days. There are many sites that scrape different parts of 4chan to preserve its content and as far as I know it's not considered a violation of their terms of service (considering 4chan has basically no rules anyway).

Wallhaven was created by the people who previously ran wallbase, with the exception of wallbase's founder whos disappearance was the reason for wallbase's doom. That means that almost all admins here (pretty sure I'm the only exception) are former staff members of wallbase. If wallbase had not bit the dust this site would not exist. And we are not running any scraper, all content you can find here was uploaded by our users. We do however have a backup of most of wallbase's wallpapers which we plan on adding here eventually. These backups were created after it became clear that wallbase might not survive.

And then there are sites that have nothing to do with us at all, but they still decide to imitate the name and style and scrape our content without ever asking. Ultimately they share the same goal as we do and in the case mentioned above they might even reach people we can't (because of the language). Yet they are causing additional traffic for us while benefiting from the hours and hours of work our community has invested into tagging and moderating our content. It's a very one-sided relationship that way.

Gandalf "We do however have a backup of most of wallbase's wallpapers which we plan on adding here eventually. " I was under the impression that those backups were already being used since WH's creation, as a way to draw people in so you didn't have to start from scratch. did WH start with 0 and only grow by user uploads or did it start with WB's DB (or part of it)?

If you started from 0, I can see how this could be an issue.

Yes, we started from zero. You can check the reverse sorted latest page to find our earliest wallpapers, starting with single digit IDs.

Also consider that wallbase had about 1.5 million wallpapers while we're currently just shy of 450 thousand.

We will probably start injecting the higher quality wallpapers from our wallbase backup once we leave beta, but the plans for that are anything but definitive.

Gandalf what happened with the number 1 wallpaper? They are starting from 2.