blocking duplicates

I think you should consider blocking duplicates on uploading stage, cuz it's clear to me that some are just ignoring the warning. For example last dump from Motta and five duplicates, only from my content! I know that system recognising duplicates is not very efficient but this is just impossible that it didn't show the warning. It would save work for us who reports and staff who has to deal with those reports.

During the last couple of days and weeks I downloaded a lot of wallpapers, especialy people, as I wanted to complete my personal collection. While I was browsing through the list I wrote down wrong categorized images (which is already a very long list) and downloaded duplicates, on purpose or not. I am using a variation of tools to check my own walls and those I download, to check if there are duplicates on my hard drive. I can tell, that from all the walls I downloaded, there're a lot duplicates. I am not finished yet, but I will give a list to the mods/admins when I am ready.

I understand, that the actual system to check for duplicates on wallhaven isn't working as intended. If I remember correct, it is planned to implement a better system in the future. Right now it's more or less useless. As I said I checked for duplicates on my local hard drive and I found a lot of duplicates I uploaded myself. I can asure, that I am not ignoring warnings, but those images haven't been recognized as duplicates. And to be honest - Sometimes it's even a bit frustrating if you upload something, you take the time to tag your uploads correctly, and after one, two or more weeks someone deletes your upload, because somehow they found out, that it is a duplicate. Don't get me wrong here. It is okay to delete my uploaded duplicates. It's just - It would've been easier and less time consuming, if the upload was recognized as a duplicate in the first place.

Another thing is and here I can agree with Cryzeen - From everything I saw, I am pretty sure, that some uploaders do ignore warnings intentionally. I can tell so, as I am sure that I was told that it is a duplicate, when I tryed to upload the same image before myself.

I understand, that it is impossible to find every duplicate and that it is a lot of work. Again - Don't get me wrong here. It's not the fault of wallhaven staff, but as the system to find duplicates isn't working, or not good enough, and people tend to ignore warnings or upload duplicates on purpose, it's no wonder that there're already a lot of duplicates.

Like you said we're planning to add a better dupe detection to prevent bad uploads in the first place. Give it time.

In some way, those who intentionally ignore the warning help us find holes in the system as well.

That being said, I don't like it. It's a lot of work cleaning up.