What are people?

Hello everyone,

today I was looking for a specific wallpaper, so that I had to scroll through more than 1500 pages of the „people“ category. While I was doing so, I stumbled across a few wallpaper where I was asking myself, if those are actual people?

First: I will post those wallpaper later today into the designated thread.

In „Guidelines for Tagging, Flagging, etc...“ it says:

If it contains a photo or photo-realistic art of a person, it belongs in People.

So it is easy to tell, that a real person belongs into the „people“ category. Fair enough.

But what is „photo-realistic“? Does it include drawings or computer graphics of people? Where does it start and where does it end? What is about abstract drawings, where you can tell that it is a person, but it's more artistic? What about drawings of real people or drawings of people, which doesn't exist in real life?

What about people from computer games in general? I found „dozens“ of Lara Croft wallpaper in the people category. There are many more, like from the Fallout Games and so on.

When does a wallpaper and it's content count as „people“ in general? There're a lot of images with girls and cars. Does a wallpaper automatically count as „people“ as soon as a real person is on it? Even if 90 percent of the image is filled with another object, like a car?

Another example – Someone was holding up a sign. The sign was taking 90 percent of the space and it was a closeup. But you could see, that there was a person behind it, holding the sign. Is it still „people“?

Again – Where does it start and end? I know, that it is hard to tell sometimes, and that there have to be wallpapers which belong to both categories. It lies in the nature of things. But others are very clear and I, and maybe others, like to know how to handle those images, especially when it comes to reporting.

Sorry, if this has been discussed before. I wasn't able to find anything. If I am too late, please refer me to the appropriate post.

?

Last updated

@WallpaperManiac said:

Pal, you take this all much to serious :-) As William Shatner once said "Get out of your Parent's Basement and start living! It's only a beep TV-Show!"

No, he's absolutely right. Rules need to be more specific and maybe even give examples. One of my pictures got taken down for "bad quality/poor editing" when the only edit it had was a color filter. So it was pretty much taken down because the mod/admin just didn't like the color filter, not because it had any signs of bad editing.

The rules currently don't specify which wallpapers belong into which category, mostly because they are fairly self explanatory. My answer to Pheaton's question is:

• Use your own best judgement.
    • Focus on the primary feature of the image.
    • Is the wallpaper about a person? → People
    • Is it about some object, but also happens to contain some people (e.g. in the background)? → General
    • Is it anime/manga? (not “related to anime” but actually anime) → Anime

Of course there are many borderline cases. For example we had a recent discussion about where cosplay belongs (it belongs in People, like it or not).

You mentioned artwork, and that's where things get more difficult. I think the question is whether it's more about the artwork itself or the person in the image. The Mona Lisa is primarily a famous painting, the woman herself barely matters to anybody (→ General). The guidelines you quoted say “photo-realistic art”, and you may take that quite literally. Drawings, paintings etc. are not photo-realistic. Photo-manipulations however may fall in that category. If somebody photoshops a silly hat on George Clooney's head he's still a real person, even if the whole image is no longer technically one photo.

I'm not even sure about movie and video game posters. Personally I think they should belong in General.

We are constantly trying to refine the rules and make them cover as many cases as possible without overcomplicating them. However it's impossible to achieve perfection – the rules will always leave room for interpretation and there will always be borderline or even completely unexpected cases. You're welcome to try and create an all-encompassing set of rules, but don't expect me to read the 500 page document you're inevitably going to produce – or anybody else, for that matter.

We have to rely on our staff members' individual judgement. Sometimes decisions are questionable. Feel free to ask or complain, either on the forums or via PM to an admin. We're not trying to spite anybody, just trying to keep the overall quality at a passable level. There are no hard feelings if you upload a few wallpapers that get deleted or you put a some borderline cases in a different category/purity than staff members consider appropriate. So do what @WallpaperManiac said and relax. As long as you're using your best judgement and we can tell you're not just dumping mountains of crap into the default category you'll be fine. We won't ban you for making a reasonable decision.

sannukas0016 I restored your wallpaper because I really don't see any reason for it to get deleted.

Pheaton : LOL, this thread explains [url]http://alpha.wallhaven.cc/forums/post/5841#post-5841[/url]

But, anyway, my two cents here would be not to filter any search by Category. The most you can filter out is Anime, if you are sure you are searching for a non-anime character. There is no real distinction between the People and General category, except that in People, the person is the focus of the image. This advice comes into play especially when searching for movies and video game wallpapers. The character posters would probably be found in People category, whereas the posters where the characters are not in focus like the logos/events/symbols from the movie will be found in General. Where something belongs to is pretty subjective right now, and will probably remains so because of the definition of the categories.

Wallbase had a different issue, in that the categories were technical ones. The non-anime wallpapers with the standard wallpaper resolutions were put in one category and the non-standard resolutions were put in another. This meant that a lot depended on tagging correctly to be searchable. While that still remains true here, its made a little easier by the fact that if you put in the time, you will find it as long as you know for sure which category it might be in.

Gandalf:

Of course there are many borderline cases. For example we had a recent discussion about where cosplay belongs (it belongs in People, like it or not).

That was a discussion?

Hello everyone,

first let me thank you all for your answers!

I do understand, that one should see a project like this more relaxed, as it is just something you do in your free time and it's nothing world-shaking. That being said - The reason I started this topic was not that I am taking it too serious, but I was browsing through a lot of wallpapers and pages, and while I was doing so, it was and is just natural for me, that I help finding wrong categorized images. To do so I need to know what belongs where and it wasn't clear to me, at least not everything. That doesn't mean, that I am taking it too serious or that I am living on planet Wallhaven.

On the other hand - Wallhaven is trying to achieve some kind of standard when it comes to quality and also the presentation itself. At least that's what I tought and am still thinking. In that sense I think it is just natural to talk about a few things, especially when it comes to categorizing and things like this. And as a user which likes the project, and as a frontend developer myself, who appreciate the work and effort put into this site, and as a mod, site owner and webmaster, who knows how much work it is to control and check everything, I am willing to help where ever I can. That's my part I can add to this site and the least the site owners and mods can expect from me, if I appreciate and respect their effort.

Anyhow - The things you said helped me a lot to understand what belongs where and how you handle things. Gandalfs explanation helped me to understand what art and artworks are, in regard of wallpapers and people. Now I know, where they belong to, and I am able to report wrong categorized images. Not because I want to harm anyone or because I am a geek, but because I want to help where ever I can and because it is little effort for me. I also like the thought regarding movie and video game wallpaper. I found it hard to judge, if they are general or people, as both is possible and both makes sense.

I am with you Gandalf, that you have to rely on personal judgemet and that is fine with me. How can they be sure, if I can't? How can I expect them to always judge correct or in the same way I would have? That's the reason I never expect, that something I reported for a certain reason is treated the way I thought it had to. As being said before multiple times - It's a fine line and some wallpaper might fit in several categories.

I think lezboyd is also right, that the focus of an image is important, especially when it comes to movie wallpaper or "girls and cars" for example. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the focus is, but I think it is a good indicator and starting point.

As I said - This thread helped me a lot and maybe it'll help others too. Thanks again!

Tag of People section? People are Personalities or Individual Person related to dah tag. Idk if your browser have Google Translate plugin there in the Tag section.

And while I was tagging a picture with #freckle, it comes under the section of People. Freckle > People. I think in some, many, ways, Pheaton here is trying to express her laughters here in havening ways.

1536 x 11524