Anyone else dislikes "Arcane" art style?

Literally all my friends who watched Arcane told me its "the best show ever" and so on.. People seem to love the art style in general calling it next level and I even saw people requesting other shows to be done in this kind of style. When I gave it a try I disliked how the characters look a lot. Not sure what causes it exactly but looking at them always made me feel uncomfortable.

7680 x 32657PNG
    7680 x 32657PNG
    3250 x 20676

Now Arcane has been out since 2021 but whenever I see a wallpaper from this show uploaded here it reminds me of how much I dislike it.

So how do you feel about it? Anyone else dislikes this style? Or is it truly the best show ever?

Made an account just to say I think it's ugly as hell too.

spacio said:

Made an account just to say I think it's ugly as hell too.

haha that's what I needed to hear!

I think it looks good, it lends itself to expressiveness and the overall style and tone the series tries to convey, it looks comic-book-ish/pulpy and also like modern 3D. It's great at letting emotion show in all kinds of scenes (public and intimate), and looks fantastic for action scenes. As it wants to privilege a strong aesthetic statement over verosimilitude, it's not likely to age poorly from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Also... I wouldn't be able to recreate anything even remotely similar even with a team of artists at my disposal.

Didn't like the story that much, but it clearly is a masterful display of talent and work.

SuccubusJJ said:

I think it looks good, it lends itself to expressiveness and the overall style and tone the series tries to convey, it looks comic-book-ish/pulpy and also like modern 3D. It's great at letting emotion show in all kinds of scenes (public and intimate), and looks fantastic for action scenes. As it wants to privilege a strong aesthetic statement over verosimilitude, it's not likely to age poorly from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Also... I wouldn't be able to recreate anything even remotely similar even with a team of artists at my disposal.

Didn't like the story that much, but it clearly is a masterful display of talent and work.

Probably the target audience is so starved of real human interaction that they can only read emotions on a face if they're exaggerated to an absurd degree like like the Pixar Disney style that we also see on Tiktok.

YUYU said:

Probably the target audience is so starved of real human interaction that they can only read emotions on a face if they're exaggerated to an absurd degree like like the Pixar Disney style that we also see on Tiktok.

Okay, first off, I was one of the first people to view this thread. I saw it about thirty minutes after it went up. But I ignored it completely, cuz it was ridiculous to me, but then, of course, it's not possible that everyone loves the show, no matter how good something is, there's always that backward person or group of people who'll hate it, so at least now we've found that set of people for Arcane. I wanted to reply right then, but I was like, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and also anyone can create a thread here, so I thought just leave 'em, let them have their thread, they're not bothering anyone after all. But after this latest interaction, I just had to speak. The arcane art style is a masterpiece. It's a revolutionary creation in the world of animation that combines the best elements of both 2D and 3D animation while still maintaining the painterly look/effect that League of Legends artwork is famous for, and this style of animation is going to live on whether you're sore about it or not. Look dude, we get it, your friends probably hyped up the show so much that it didn't meet up to your expectations when you finally watched it. Yes, we've all been there, cry me a river. It's no reason to get so bitter about it and hate the show so much that you have to come online and start ranting about it. Initially, it seemed like you just didn't like the show and wanted to air your opinions online, (Which everyone is doing nowadays, so no surprise there) but your latest response to SuccubusJJ's post indicates that it's much deeper than that, you don't get this bitter about a show just cuz it disappointed you, there's obviously something else. Whatever's bothering you, it's more than just the arcane art style. And if you haven't already, good luck figuring it out, really, give the rest of us a break. And if anything, the fact that you had to come online to create a thread hoping to find people that agree with you on such a subject only goes to show that YOU'RE the one who's deprived of human interaction. At least you got two people to agree with you so hopefully that helps.

Last updated

odAyzaod

It's a revolutionary creation in the world of animation

Isn't a revolution supposed to make things better not worse?

YUYU said:

Revolutions can go in reverse, you know?

@yλman said:

YUYU said:

Revolutions can go in reverse, you know?

ABORT MISSION!!

YUYU if you want to see a real revolution in the animation world then you need to watch ghost in the shell (1995).

fun fact: it is the second tag created on wallhaven

@yλman said:

YUYU if you want to see a real revolution in the animation world then you need to watch ghost in the shell (1995).

fun fact: it is the second tag created on wallhaven

oh I know ghost in the shell has great aesthetics, though I have to confess I haven't watched the original yet

YUYU said:

I haven't watched the original yet

now you have something good to watch instead of complaining about some mediocre netflix series

@yλman said:

YUYU said:

I haven't watched the original yet

now you have something good to watch instead of complaining about some mediocre netflix series

looking at my watchlist and my free time, i think another fast complaining thread is more realistic

greendewalld said:

It's just Borderlands style, nothing new.

I mean yea but I like the borderlands style, maybe i phrased it wrong but its not the artstyle that's offputting in arcane, its the character design

I agree, there are some overacted scenes in there, I just skipped it.

I wouldn't call it the best. But it was interesting to watch rather than annoying. I would recommend it to friends. The best of the recent ones for me was Across Spiderverse.

Last updated