Time to raise the low-resolution limits?

Now that 4K monitors are starting to become more mainstream, is it time to consider raising the minimum resolution on new uploads from 1280x800 to 1920x1080 (with exceptions for ultra-widescreen images).

I ask, because do we really want our feeds being clogged with low-res images that less and less of us will ever use because they just look awful scaled up on modern displays? And yes, I'm aware that some of our users might be using this site for their phone wallpapers, but even then, the website can just downscale HD images just for them like it always has.

Now that 4K monitors are starting to become more mainstream

It would be nice to see some trustful statistics. Like that.

More mainstream means market share from 1% of users to 2%? :D

Added 2 minutes after

That filter isn't available via subscriptions.

Maybe then we should request this filter and not a upload limit? Sounds like an XY problem.

I agree, it is time to raise the requirements to 1080p at a minimum.

Something to think about - you can always try changing the project settings to have a lower resolution, across the board. Your higher resolution clips should still look crispy within the timeline and your lower resolution clips will not have to be scaled up. You can also throw some light sharpening. Depending on where your content will be seen, it may not matter that your end resolution is lower. If end resolution is important, You can also just fill the background with a blurred and scaled up version of the same video to fill in the space in the back of a lower res clip that is not scaled. Add a drop shadow to it to have it pop out of the blurred version, behind.

@shivam34az said:

Something to think about - you can always try changing the project settings to have a lower resolution, across the board. Your higher resolution clips should still look crispy within the timeline and your lower resolution clips will not have to be scaled up. You can also throw some light sharpening. Depending on where your content will be seen, it may not matter that your end resolution is lower. If end resolution is important, You can also just fill the background with a blurred and scaled up version of the same video to fill in the space in the back of a lower res clip that is not scaled. Add a drop shadow to it to have it pop out of the blurred version, behind.

um, this is about wallpapers, not videos. But the whole "background with a blurred and scaled up version of the same video" is really obnoxious and I hate when videos do that.

Strangely enough, even if Windows compresses images (when you set them as wallpapers) to 85% quality, they still look better upscaled than if you manually enlarge them in Photo Viewer.

It's interesting how Windows' image compression at 85% quality still yields better results when upscaled as wallpapers compared to manual enlarging in Photo Viewer. The optimization behind this process seems to preserve image quality remarkably well

Last updated