What is "anime" style when so many variations have it?

Banned from tagging because I labeled video game characters as video game characters and for taking off anime tags from non anime?

According to the admins, "anime style" is virtually everything cartoonish.

There are hundres if not thousands of different anime styles. Using the logic presented, every single thing that's put up here that isn't just a photograph of a real scene or model should be tagged as anime. What is the point of the tag if not to filter it down to what you're trying to look for?

You're actively making it harder to filter by specific things on here. There should be an "Anime Style" tag instead of "Anime" which shockingly iumplies the thing you're tagging is an anime or from an anime.

There was no staff response when I made a forum post about this the other day but acting out on it with a ban is apparently the best solution in your minds?

Added 4 minutes after

There are actually 150,000 "anime girls" tagged pictures on here out of a total 950,000...

"anime" "anime girls" "anime boys" are quite literally the only tags on probably thousands of pictures on here, most of which aren't even falling under those tags. A lot are just tagged with it for the same of it getting seen by more people. Admins are just supporting tagging for the sake of tagging rather than what actually pertains to the images...

I can understand what you express. If I look at the problem from my personal point of view, this is not unacceptable. Because from the perspective of Chinese , the generalized "anime" approximately refers to "二次元" (ACG/ACGN). For example, some of the pictures I uploaded are actually fan art of game characters. But these games are "二次元" style games. And the style of the characters is also anime style even if they are from Chinese games. And for an illustrator's original anime-style character picture, I will post the tag "anime girl" without hesitation although this character doesn't come from any anime. Hope you can understand my point of view; after all my English is not good.

@TheFalseFury said:

Banned from tagging because I labeled video game characters as video game characters and for taking off anime tags from non anime?

According to the admins, "anime style" is virtually everything cartoonish.

There are hundres if not thousands of different anime styles. Using the logic presented, every single thing that's put up here that isn't just a photograph of a real scene or model should be tagged as anime. What is the point of the tag if not to filter it down to what you're trying to look for?

You're actively making it harder to filter by specific things on here. There should be an "Anime Style" tag instead of "Anime" which shockingly iumplies the thing you're tagging is an anime or from an anime.

There was no staff response when I made a forum post about this the other day but acting out on it with a ban is apparently the best solution in your minds?

Added 4 minutes after

There are actually 150,000 "anime girls" tagged pictures on here out of a total 950,000...

"anime" "anime girls" "anime boys" are quite literally the only tags on probably thousands of pictures on here, most of which aren't even falling under those tags. A lot are just tagged with it for the same of it getting seen by more people. Admins are just supporting tagging for the sake of tagging rather than what actually pertains to the images...

Yup, I sorta had this problem early on. It seems in the categories you've got: (1) People: Literally wallpapers that depict actual flesh and bone human beings and maybe high quality realistic illustrations of human subjects. (2) General: Wallpapers that depict any object and/or illustration of non-humanoid nature like landscapes, cars, arquitecture, etc. And (3) encompasing most humanoid illustrated depictions of fictional characters, literal anime and manga inspired work, video game (japanese and western alike) illustration and fanart, and even western cartoons.

I believe the "ethos" or spirit of this comes in the form of the intended mission of the site to archive "high quality wallpapers", period. That implicitly states that images that aren't conventionally though of as "wallpaper material" do not generate interest to the platform administration. No one here would care much, for example, if She-Ra is made by Dreamworks and Netflix; or if Abyss Odyssey was developed by a Chilean team inspired by Art Nouveau... they are fine categorising it as "not people", "not general", ergo: "anime".

It's super different, for example, in 4Chan where you have a whole board devoted to wallpapers (/wg/, which is NSFW-tolerant) and another whole board specifically devoted to anime (/w/, which is strictly SFW). In that example you will have moderators explicitly and strictly enforcing "anime only" rules in /w/. If you post She-Ra content there you'll be yelled at and called slurs not only because it's LGBT+ friendly, but because it's not Anime and therefore belongs in the "Non-Anime Wallpaper Board". They explicitly made it so it's a anime-manga only space. Conversely, if you post a Kill la Kill thread in /wg/ you'll be yelled at and thrown back to /w/ and won't be if you post a Kung Fu Panda thread... because that platform cares about that distinction.

In here, for practical reasons if there's an illustrated human figure... I'll most likely tag it as anime if it's not like... an old fashioned portrait or something akin, like an oil painting nude.

Btw... I'm not an admin or a mod, so I'm just conveying personal experience using the site. Don't know anything about ban practices, but it seems the ban most likely responded to less than civil language and behaviour than to content tagging. But hey, what do I know?