This website used to be good at filtering people out. What happened?

Now when I uncheck people & anime I still see real and cartoon people. Even photos of women with the tag women aren't filtered. I used to love this website for filtering people well. What changed?

People put started to put irrelevant tags, file them incorrectly, whether accidental or on purpose, it can sometimes be more than people can correct quickly, and more and more wallpapers are being uploaded, meaning more work to correct these "mistakes"

We can't expect the filters to be clear of everything when it relies on Human Input. There are bound to be a couple that sneak through the checks and filters, but even then, just flag them as incorrectly categorised. Someone will deal with it when they have the time to do so

@kesjirajbek

just open random and turn anime and people off and see for your self?

Even when I turn people and anime off and sort by latest, there are girls literally on every page. On every single one. I wish there was an easier and faster way to report the wrong category. Maybe if there was a system to suggest a better category and after a certain number of suggestions the category would automatically change? Because at this rate if I am to manually report every miscategorized female I see I might as well go back to searching for wallpapers on Bing.

Well guys I am on here almost daily for 3 years and every day I make correction in categories. I've tried to go random just in General and there weren't any real women wallpapers for 20 pages. If I went for latest in General the situation is even better so I still don't understand astmar's complains... :(

Today's latest is different :( of course but there are people :( on every page :( And I wasn't talking about real people :( I was talking about people :( cartoon people are still people :(

cartoon people are still people

No.

I am sorry that you are confused by the truth.

People: 1) real people 2) cartoon people

Both people.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Edit: Alright, let's see if I can give you a more satisfactory response, astmar

Personally, I do not consider fictional characters people. You apparently do. Although your argument is rather weak. You just put the word " cartoon" in front of "people" and expect everybody else to accept it as something other than an oxymoron.

However personal opinions aside, rules and categories aren't about technical accuracy, they need to be useful as well. Fictional vs. real is a very simple distinction that everybody can grasp. Meanwhile there is an infinite range of possible more or less human fictional characters. Where do you draw the line? Do they need to be human? Humanoid? Able to speak? Think? Does Clark Kent qualify? He just looks human but he isn't. Jake Sully in his Avatar is a human conscience inside a blue alien. The Hulk is a modified human. If he doesn't qualify, do mutants like Wolverine? What about other Marvel/DC heroes? Spock is half human half alien. What about Gandalf? He's technically a god but always appears in human form. Which of the races in Tolkien's universe qualify (humans, elves, dwarves, hobbits, ents, orks, goblins, balrogs, …)?

As far as rabbit holes go this is one with infinite depth. If we allow fictional characters in the people category there will be endless debates about everybody's favorite characters' origin stories. Let's not do that.

There will always be some ambiguity. What about real characters that were exaggerated in fictional stories, e.g. Jesus? I don't have a general answer to that. But at the very least this case is a lot rarer than just straight up made up characters. Let's keep it as simple as we can and deal with the rest.

Last updated

I just want to say that my frustration is NOT caused by the fact that cartoon people are not considered people on this site, but that I am not able to filter them out.

I don't know why you're making this philosophical. OK, I get it. You personally don't consider them people so we'll just have to deal with having tons of annoying wallpapers in our feed. Fine, it's your website. I am not entitled to anything here, especially when it's free. Do what you think is best.

The thing about people vs cartoon people is ridiculous. The thing i dont want when turning off 'people' are human features. I dont care if its Black Widow portrayed by Scar Jo or drawn. And regarding all your examples; I dont want them. We shouldnt need to philosophize over what a person is or not. In the end, wallpapers main quality is the visual aspect.

Everybody draws the line somewhere else. You two think that a very wide range belongs to the People category, others will have a different opinion (myself included). I'm not posing these "philosophical" questions to annoy you but because I know that if we were to relax the People category, others will ask exactly those questions of us, i.e. staff. We'll end up having to resolve case after case of what belongs where – on an individual basis for every character anyone has ever considered worth in/excluding from the category.

The thing is filtering by human features it is very objective. Its there or its not.

Maybe this cant be changed overnight, I have no knowledge about these things. But right now filtering by people is just some loose thing that doesnt work.

There's a very tiny solution here, if people add the #Person or people tag to any picture that somehow is related to people category, everyone can put these category in their blacklist so it doesn't show up... this is the easiest way i can imagine.. i thought it's might be good to share my opinion...

yeah but sadly blacklisting isnt working that great right now either...

The reason that cartoon/fantasy people aren't categorized as people, atleast the way I see it, is because there are people like me who may want a wallpaper with a certain character or portrait, but we don't want to have to go through the millions of pinup posters/pics that people post on here. If there was a nanomortis artwork, or some knight, it would make more sense to have them under general, rather than people due to the nature of their message.

I dont understand what youre saying. Pinup posters? I dont see how turning off people would affect, even with that weird definition of people, anything useful when youre looking for a character.

The thing about Gandalfs reasoning is that fictional people or characters are not people because they are just and idea.

When you search for Black Widow and turn off people you will find many pictures of Scarlet Johanson. I find that very weird because that would mean that for instance that Triple H shouldnt be filtered my this because he is a WWE character, but he is.

So maybe Triple H is just a mistake and shouldnt be filtered but then it reveals an problem: people and characters you dont know about. How do you know if that woman is an actor portraying a character without prior knowledge that not everyone has. The guy scrolling through the pictures now has to deal with characters he does not care or know about.

Some how the art style of anime requires there to be a person in the frame. There is no landscape or other still art in anime?

What I would suggest is that the people filter should filter humanoid things, fictional or not. This would include the work of nanomortis. I recognize that there is some complication with such a filter because not black and white and there is some grey (although I previously stated it was :s). If a humanoid object is the main object visible in the picture it should be filtered. This should clear 90% of the problem stated by astmar.

With that said, I recognise the issue but I actually have no need for a people filter. I like to browse through everything because you never know if there is a gem hidden behind a filter.

Still waiting for a working blacklist feauture though for some specific things...