Change Search Result layout to masonry for better showing of thumbnails

When browsing wallpapers there are wallpapers of different sizes oriented in both landscape and portrait. Currently the search results only shows a thumbnail in landscape format. This isn't very ideal for the portrait oriented wallpapers as you can't see the full picture in the thumbnail. The same goes for those ultrawide wallpapers.

Wouldn't it be better if Wallhaven used a masonry layout for the search results instead? Good examples of sites using this masonry system are Google Images and Pinterest.

There is an "original size" setting in your browsing settings.

I found this site and their layout is incredible imo [url]https://wallions.com/[/url] if you use filter you can sort by landscape or portrait or square which is nice.

you can also search by res and ratio with url which is weird

example resolution [url]wallions.com/resolution/3840x2160[/url] ratio [url]wallions.com/ratio/16x9[/url]

Gandalf said:

There is an "original size" setting in your browsing settings.

Cool. Didn't know that option. But, to bad that setting isn't on that filterbar on search result page. Maybe an idea to add it there?

throated, That layout, at least for the images, is exactly what i mean. Something like that could work for Wallhaven too i think. Then the original/thumb settings isn't necessary anymore.

But, to bad that setting isn't on that filterbar on search result page. Maybe an idea to add it there?

Hell no. Not to be mean but I'm not going to clutter the search bar even more just because some people can't be arsed to check the settings.

I'm not a big fan of that layout. I thought about doing it at the time, iirc I even made a prototype, but decided against it because I don't think it's very well suited for presenting wallpapers. Portrait wallpapers get a lot more space than landscape wallpapers despite the latter being a lot more commonly used.

Well masonry layout can be oriented in two ways as well. Like Google Images the masonry layout is focused horizontally, meaning portrait images have less space then then landscape. Or the masonry layout in the example above, which focused vertically. Giving landscape images less space, and portrait more space. The Google Images layout would work best for Wallhaven IF you would use a masonry layout.

There is another option as well which could be something. The way SmugMug does the layout of their search result page is nice too. All images are square and when you hover them you see their original ratio.

Then again. You made a choice of not using a masonry layout. Of course i respect that choice. After all Wallhaven is for me the first choice when i visit a wallpaper website. So you're doing a great job anyway. :)

I like the Layout how it is here. Its clean and gives a good overview.