After Alpha Ends

tl;dr what content remains after wallhaven leaves alpha?

So when wallhaven enters its beta phase we are going to experience a fresh start. That brought me to some questions - what does fresh start mean? Just having all uploaded wallpapers, tags, etc. deleted or will we also lose threads and comments posted in our new forums? Will we have to recreate our accounts?

1920 x 10809

We're currently thinking about how best to deal with this. Our initial plan was to wipe everything and start completely fresh. The reason being, that throughout our development process a lot of our database structure has changed over time and there is a lot of corrupted data. We may be able to find a way that is less fatal especially to the user accounts and the uploads. No promises yet, it basically means we have to find ways to fix all the corrupted data.

Regardless we are definitely going to import the wallpapers from wallbase (we scraped them before the site went offline).

I wouldn't mind having everything deleted for a nice and clean experience but some sort of way to keep accounts/usernames when beta comes along would be nice so people can stick with what they're used to. I don't know how much work this means for you guys to do such a thing after all since having corruptions in your database really isn't the best thing to have.

If it's a choice between wiping everything or having corrupt data, I'd go with the full wipe. Bad data has a habit of biting you hard, when you can least afford it.

Yeah, I agree with fefniir. It's better to wipe everything, clean data and solid foundations.

I support full complete data wipe. It is better to just do that than to waste time trying to fix corrupted data. Also I don't mind even users being deleted cause what are the chances of somebody stealing our usernames. The site will be pretty fresh at the start and us who visit it will most probably catch their usernames unused.

vote for full wipe and start over.

honestly, it is not fun at all to try and merge old data to new, deal with corrupted data, and everything else in between, just leaves head scratching all day long, better off going clean slate, so staff know the database and the site will co-operate nicely together.

I'm also voting for removing everything, and just starting all over.

It will be better for the community in the long run, as well as making the database(s) work right away, with no fiddling (with corrupted data) at a later stage.

Hm, not sure, I think I am really ok with you wiping the whole files, but it would be nice to have at least the most basic struct of your acc remaining, not sure, cause I have no insight, but those userdata (Username + PW and Email) shouldn't be corrupted, or are they ?

I agree with Bukssna, the site will be fresh and those of us that have been keeping up with wallhaven development will find our usernames unused when the site goes to beta. A clean wipe and fresh start is definitely the way to go with corrupt data.

I'd vote for the full wipe as well, if it, you know, comes down to a vote.

If there will be a full wipe, then give us some time to download our wallpapers before there will be a full wipe ;) Maybe a week, before alpha ends.

FuriouZ said:

If there will be a full wipe, then give us some time to download our wallpapers before there will be a full wipe ;) Maybe a week, before alpha ends.

We definitely won't do anything drastic without making a big fuss about it beforehand. ;)

I was fully prepared for a full wipe from the get-go, i agree with previous posters that a solid foundation is more important (especially if you scraped all the wallpapers and have them ready) I haven't uploaded anything yet for that specific reason

@slurs said:

Let's get on with it then

Beta is still a good while off. We're not done fixing bugs and improving basic features.

Gandalf said:

Regardless we are definitely going to import the wallpapers from wallbase (we scraped them before the site went offline).

That is awsome.

Dysantium said:

I haven't uploaded anything yet for that specific reason

Me too. Haha I stopped uploading a real long time ago, will wait for beta to get back to it.

Do you guys have an estimate on when the beta will end? btw this site looks amazing. i like the way this looks better than wallbase honestly.

Nenuxtitan said:

Do you guys have an estimate on when the beta will end? btw this site looks amazing. i like the way this looks better than wallbase honestly.

Thanks >.< And no, there is no ETA yet.

Can we get a big obnoxious countdown clock so we don't forget to back up or hoarde wallpapers aha

You guys have done a brilliant job thus far

I will be here no matter what you guys do. Starting fresh doesn't bother me at all.