We really need better duplicate checking on uploads

canadianakin just uploaded over 2000 wallpapers since joining 22 hours ago. Among them were 463 Kill la Kill wallpapers, over 80% of which I know I've already seen before. I cannot say the same for the rest of their uploads as this is the only tag that I happen to subscribe to that jumped at me in my subscriptions page(I check daily).

I know this happens fairly regularly here but this is probably, by far, the worst case of duplicatitis I have ever seen on here. I'd report them all but I just gave up on humanity >_< Times like this when I think I really wouldn't mind a purge when we leave Alpha even though I know with out a good duplicate checker in place it'll just happen again.

/rant I <3 u wallhaven. ~.^

it's probably the most complicated algorithm to implement which is why it wasn't done yet. what wallhaven is lacking, is a hashing algorithm that will hash wallpapers & will enable similarity checking based on hash, that's more or less how it worked on wallbase as far as I know. identical hash will then mean identical wallpaper mostly

Guys, it's comming. IQDB is a bit of a pain to work with but we'll get there.

Gandalf I appreciate all that you guys are doing for the site and I don't mean to put any pressure on you, I just felt the need to -- vent -- about this incident. In the mean time I'll keep putting dupeGuru PE to work. :)

Yeah I don't blame you. Believe me I find the endless dupes just as annoying…

I was pretty worried a lot of mine would be duplicates. Unfortunately it would just take me too much time to go through and check manually. Sorry if I caused any major headaches! I'll try to take some time over the next few days to go through and find some. I just figured it'd be better to upload them all in case they weren't dupes. Better to have two than none?

Last updated

canadianakin Heh, don't worry about it. You aren't the only one to make me cringe when I loaded up the site that day. I had 1400+ notifications after only being gone a day when I usually have less than a hundred. Fun times. Anyway, turns out there were some nice new ones in your batch so that's a plus.