Backgrounds Made in Blender

• don't use a perfectly round brush for blood. use it as a base for your splatter/smears.
    • blood is a pretty solid thing. it doesn't have soft edges. use a near-solid shape, not a feathered circle.
    • put the blood on a new transparent layer for easy editing.
    • use various brushes, circles, grunge, etc.
    • use the smudge/smear tool to spread it out, make it more like smeared fluid.
    • use more than 1 shade of red. use a base darker red and some very slight variations.
    • add shadows. but not full-black. just faint ones. or enable "Ambient Occlusion" or "Indirect lighting".
    • play around with specularity and bump mapping (this applies to the characters and environment).

I don't think those have to be on the site. It is for wallpapers, not for polishing your skills in blender or 3dmax or anything.

It doesn't look like a wallpaper, sorry. More like blender practicing or a screenshot from some indie/mario game. It's just my opinion. I wouldn't set this as my desktop background.

What I'm trying to say, this thread looks like some modelling-related forum where newbies attach their works and asking for advice from pros.

@dwemer This board is called “Showroom”, so showing your work seems like an appropriate use, don't you think? As mentioned elsewhere this is exactly the place where you can ask for feedback. tidbit already gave some good constructive feedback, so that's cool. Also not all wallpapers appeal to everyone's taste, just because you personally wouldn't use them doesn't make them not wallpapers.

The real question here is about quality, i.e. are these wallpapers good enough? I'm not going to pretend like I find these particularly great, they are definitely at a beginner level. There is no shame in being a beginner. However we are pretty strict about obvious amateur work in other categories, mainly photography, since they tend to come in large quantities. From that point of view removing the above would probably be justified. I haven't deleted them because amateur 3D work is a lot rarer and I believe we can afford to allow a hand full of not-so-great ones without compromising our site's overall quality. Obviously if they came in larger packs we'd have to be much stricter about them as well. I hope that's a perspective everyone can agree with, otherwise let me know.

@sekiloprower Harsh words are tough on the artist but I think you've already understood yourself that there's still a lot of room for improvement. Don't let it get to you. I want to encourage you to keep practising and develop your skills. However you should realize that the general focus of our site is sharing high quality wallpapers and not so much sharing your own creations. There are other sites more suited for that purpose, like deviantart. You can still link to your works here on the forums but maybe don't upload them here until you're positive that they are as good as can be.