Do pictures get compressed

I uploaded an image few hours ago and now i went and zoomed in on the wallheaven version and i noticed compression artifacts around the edge of the tree line that isn't present on the original file that i uploaded. So does this site use any kind of compression? Haven't noticed this before.

1920 x 108037

umm this image's page says that this picture is 145.7 KiB , you can check for the size of the image on your computer, if it's more than that then you know it has been compressed.

145KB for a 1080p picture sounds compressed to me.

We will be tweaking the upload at some point I'm sure. But for the time being JPGs will get compressed as a side effect of a few things we do in the background.

We aren't happy with this result, so do expect a change at some point.

hypermax said:

umm this image's page says that this picture is 145.7 KiB , you can check for the size of the image on your computer, if it's more than that then you know it has been compressed. 145KB for a 1080p picture sounds compressed to me.

Original is 504 KB, so it's compressed quite a bit.

AksumkA said:

We will be tweaking the upload at some point I'm sure. But for the time being JPGs will get compressed as a side effect of a few things we do in the background. We aren't happy with this result, so do expect a change at some point.

Makes sense. So i should just keep uploading .png's if i want to avoid compression?

For the time being. But do remember JPG -> PNG will keep the JPG compression and you'll end up with a bloated PNG.

Lossy to lossless doesn't work so well.