[Request] Multi Sizes, Same Wallpaper

I think right now there's sort of a problem, where I'll find a wallpaper and discover it's a dupe (usually of an untagged or minimally tagged one) and, on investigation, I find the currently uploaded one is larger or even smaller size, of a different shape, and sometimes of a worse quality.

I think if you could upload 'duplicates' of wallpapers, of different resolutions, all under a stack found from the parent wallpaper, it would be nice.

During a search, a wallpaper parent that has a stack member of the right size or resolution could turn up as well, and this would also allow people who only search for a specific resolution to find a useable wallpaper they may love, even if the currently uploaded one is wrong for them.

Thoughts on this?

This is a great idea. I support it 100%. I just don't know how doable it is...

Nice, that makes sense. Odd though that I've never come across a wallpaper with this feature. -_-

I think you're right, though, streamlining the process to keep it working the same and involve people would be for the best. Especially since, right now, as I said above, it can be flat out impossible to upload another size for it to be classed together.

When we sort out functional duplicate detection then I imagine we'll rethink how we handle dupes. I'm pushing for a system where dupes are flagged by the site for staff to review, and if they're a higher res and the same or better quality than the current version on the site, it's replaced. That's just me since I don't see the need for anything other than the original image, except for things like ultra-wide versions or (good) edits, so then the grouping function would still have a purpose.

The grouping we have is kinda broken and we're thinking about how best to redo it. Dupe detection is still a seperate issue but I'm thinking that once groups work properly we might later on work out a way to make the two things work together.

I could imagine a “upload a different resolution of this wallpaper” button, that will automatically group an upload.