"Subscriptions" Page eternal freeze

Veros said:

The way I was able to work around it was by using an extension to inject custom CSS on the page to hide the container around the list of tags (since I just scroll through the pages anyway).

Originally, I used uBlock Origin to do this with Opera 44:

alpha.wallhaven.cc##.sidebar-section:nth-of-type(3)

I had to use the element picker from Chrome to do this. This removes the entire list of tags but keeps the User Subscriptions and User Uploads sections untouched. The page works fine. Then I thought about what you said regarding the custom scroll bar, so I changed it to this:

alpha.wallhaven.cc##.vertical.scrollbar

The page still loads and works fine like with the previous filter except now you have the list of tags that scrolls. The freezing must definitely have something to do with the scrollbar.

I'm not having any problems with the subscription page on Chrome 57 like you guys are; only in Opera.

Thanks for your input, Veros and defurious.

I've finally been able to reproduce this on my dev installation using Chrome 56 after adding about a thousand tag subscriptions. I can see a clear correlation between the number of tags in the sidebar and a general slowdown of the UI. For me it takes about 700 tags for the slowdown to become significant and at around 800 the site appears to freeze (although it's actually just getting extremely slow). Most likely the exact numbers will depend on the individual setup.

I've also tried disabling the custom scrollbar but that only reduces the impact, so once you add another hundred tags you'll be back to a sluggish/frozen page. Disabling all JavaScript solves the problem so there's definitely something going on with that. I have no idea what it is just yet. It's definitely something weird. I'm almost ready to blame Chrome.

I'll keep you posted, let me know if you find anything else that might help.

Gandalf

Hey,

I just tried opening the dev console before attempting to load the sub page (not sure why I didn't try that earlier...). Although I have front end knowledge, I don't know anything about back end functionality so I apologize in advance if none of this is even remotely useful.

The console didn't throw any 'errors' but there is something in the network timeline during the page load that stalls for a long time and then eventually cancels.

Here's some screenshots of that:

Let me know if you'd like screenshots of anything in particular from the console. You haven't mentioned whether or not you've been able to duplicate this bug yourself - so, in the case that you aren't able to, I'm more than willing to provide you with any insight that can help you out. It is not my intention to bother you or make you feel like you need to prioritize this bug at all. I can access the sub page whenever I want to with Firefox so it's not a game breaker for me. I appreciate everything the Wallhaven devs and mods do to maintain and improve the site so I'm just trying to provide you with as much information as possible.

Edit:

I've finally been able to reproduce this on my dev installation using Chrome 56 after adding about a thousand tag subscriptions. I can see a clear correlation between the number of tags in the sidebar and a general slowdown of the UI.

Whoops, didn't see that last post. Hope this helps in some small fashion anyway.

Last updated

Also, holy crap man almost 40k subs? Clear that shit! I'm scared to even think what your email inbox must look like :D

We do periodically clean up sub notices. After about 6 months or so, we'll delete any lingering uncleared notices from your sub box.

Subs data makes up more than half the total size of our database. Gotta keep a clean house!

Hi...

I have the same problem and i fix it by hide the left bar in list of subscriptions before the page loading completely and freeze .... and it is just fine ^_^

I hope it will fix with you like mine.

Sorry for my broken English :D

AksumkA It is working fine with left bar opening now ...... Thanks for your time to fix this :)

Slow fix for this issue.

I had this same issue and Yes it is based on the number of tags and people you are subscribed to. After clearing about half of the unnecessary subs everything was fine again. It did take about 2 hours to clear enough tags for everything to start working normally but I decided to continue clearing so I never have the issue again. I had to search for the names in the list then unsubscribe that way which is what took 2 hours to unsub from enough to be able to then start clearing from subscription page.

I know this is not a great way to get through it but it will allow you to start using the subscription page again so we can wait for this issue to be fixed at the back end.

I don't exactly know if my problem relates to this one, but i cant acces my subscriptions at all... I tried to open them in chrome (62.0.3202.94) and in firefox (57). This is the error i get:

P.S. This started 2 days ago... i thought the site was updating or something... Anyways i tried opening the subscription page on my phone, and it doesn't work there either. Is it maybe account related?

br3athless let me know if it happens again now. Looks like some backend change did affect this page.

Gandalf and AksumkA

I'm late to the activity on this thread from ~3 weeks ago but...

Issue appears to have been fixed in Chrome.

Thanks!

Hi so I've noticed, similar to what Veros mentions above When opening the subscription page, quickly minimize the 'subscription list' on the left with the little arrow before the page fully loads and freezes. This worked for me to at least to be able to scroll through new pics from my subscriptions, but i would hardly call this a solution. and if you get it right it remembers the state when you close the window.

Perhaps something with that list could assist or narrow things down.

When im using infinite scroll and im 20+ pages in the website will totally freeze, and i could wait some times for it to respond, other time it wont and i copy the link where im at and open a new tab to continue. does anyone know a fix, im using chrome browser 64bit