Joining the developer team

Wallhaven is currently being developed by three guys in their spare time. That's not a lot and things tend to go rather slow. If you think you can help, let us know! :D

This thread is still up-to-date as of June 2017.

**· This thread is reserved for questions. *Any applications posted here will be deleted and ignored.*
    ·**[**We are not making a phone app.**](Planned Features)**Don't apply for “helping with our app”, we will ignore you.**

Requirements These are the skills you need. If you miss any of these you probably won't be able to help us. Sorry.

• PHP and/or JS. You should have a basic understanding of how websites work. If you want to do back end work it helps if you have experience with higher traffic websites. For front end work you'll need a solid understanding of JS and jQuery.
    • git. At least the basics, including how to use a service like github or bitbucket.
    • An account, since that's apparently not obivous. It should show some signs of use.
    • IRC client. A lot of our dev talk is happening on irc.rizon.net. Feel free to join in!
    • Dedication. We have a fairly large code base and documentation isn't exactly what you would call “verbose”. Depending on your experience you may have to do some digging before you can get started.
    • Relaxed personality. We like to have fun. x)
    • English.

Optional, but useful:

• Laravel or any other of the major frameworks. The basic concepts are fairly similar, even accross languages, but if you've never used one be prepared for a bit of a learning curve.
    • Database design, ORM, SQL.
    • CSS, LESS, Grunt, Vagrant and all the other fancy tools
    • Elasticsearch is our search engine. If you've got experience with it we can most likely use you.
    • Linux, nginx, HHVM, redis etc.

How to apply Send a PM to any of the developers. We will then post it on our internal staff board and discuss it. If your application sounds promising we'll want to talk to you on the IRC to figure out if we fit together. It may take a while before you hear from us, we tend to be quite busy. If you don't get a response try talking to use on the IRC channel.

You should include at least the following information about yourself:

• Skills and experience. Including but not limited to the things mentioned above. Adding a link to something you've made, or a github account, helps us figure out where you're at.
    • Your age and education. If you feel uncomfortable about sharing specifics you can be a little vague, just give us an idea.
    • Your relation to wallhaven. How long have you been using the site and how?
    • Your motivation. Why do you want to join the dev team? Convince us that you won't jump ship after a week. Be honest.
    • Something you'd like to work on. What parts are you interested in? Do you already have an idea for something you'd like to add/improve?

(xkcd.com/1629)

Last updated

@hcfmike said:

Are you looking for a full time developer, or someone to work with you part time (perhaps alongside a full time job)?

Even "part time" is a bit much for what we've been doing. We only work on this when we have the time or nothing better to do!

Is your project open source? Hosted on GitHub?

Closed. Bitbucket.

Is there pay? Or some other type of remuneration?

Nope, nada. This isn't a money making operation. That's why we don't run ads or even take donations (yet).

Love the site btw!

<3

Last updated

I should add that one of the prerequisites is actually reading what I wrote above…

ashishc Sounds like you got some skills, feel free to drop by on IRC anytime and talk to us ;)

I just have a quick question, is there any reason for the code to be closed? It seems like it would be much easier to maintain and work with if you had it on git hub. Just wondering.

The code is currently on bitbucket which works much the same as github, except the repository is private. I guess the main reason why it's closed is because we don't want to make it too easy for copycats. ^^

Some questions...

• Do you have some problems if we are in different time zones? (By the way, where are you guys from?)
    • How do you distribute the work with the team? Do you use some tool to organize it?
    • Do you usually review the code written?
    • How testing works?
    • Does the developers are allowed to suggest features? (seem quite obvious, but anyway, I like to suggest new features :D)

dineiar26

• Do you have some problems if we are in different time zones? (By the way, where are you guys from?) Nope, we're already mixed (US, Europe). Most are from American timezones, so the majority of our dev talk on IRC happens when it's evening there.
    • How do you distribute the work with the team? Do you use some tool to organize it? We're now on gitlab (similar to github) and use their issue tracking. Anybody can work on what they want to or what they're good at. That's about it.
    • Do you usually review the code written? We'll definitely read the commits of new devs before they get merged. But there is no standardized process or anything like that.
    • How testing works? Not at all, atm. But we should probably get that going eventually. ^^
    • Does the developers are allowed to suggest features? (seem quite obvious, but anyway, I like to suggest new features :D) Of course, anybody is allowed to make suggestions. When you're a dev you have equal access to the issue tracker as the others.

I can´t be a dev, because my english is very bad. :D (I´m german)

But can i be something more than a normal user? I´ve been here since the young Wallbase. And i search this website near every day.

Thanks!

Well, I really would like to help you, even more so because I am currently learning as a developer (I am, just like igstudios, from germany and here we can learn a job for a extended period of time with both working at a company and some school, just in case you wondered)

But I have sadly no experience in those needed areas( well, i never worked with jquery and because at work we use C#, i can only bring the little i got tought about js and php in school, which is the very barest of minimum ... sadly)

So should i write an application though i don't meet the conditions or should i do some learning an then join in on a later stage, if it is then still needed ?

ExoBlogging said:

...at work we use C#...

Why don't you try volunteering as a phone app developer. I am sure the dev team would love to have a phone app to present to users.

We don't have any plans of developing an app. We will however provide an API to make it easier for others to create apps for wallhaven.

Gandalf said:

We don't have any plans of developing an app. We will however provide an API to make it easier for others to create apps for wallhaven.

Yes please! I'd definitely be interested in spinning up an Android version of this site!

How many people have appplied?

Feels like there should be tons of applicants :)

cthulchu said:

How many people have appplied? Feels like there should be tons of applicants :)

There are but we're still looking. :)

Bajtech said:

Needed translator?

Maybe at some point but currently we have no plans for translating the site.

AksumkA please open a bitcoin wallet so people can donate to the site it's as simple as installing Multibit

Lol AgEnTx19 Trust me. I know about bitcoin!

Even with the new server, our bills aren't that high yet!

Thanks for looking out! :D

AksumkA said:

Lol AgEnTx19 Trust me. I know about bitcoin! Even with the new server, our bills aren't that high yet! Thanks for looking out! :D

Wow, thought hosting over 240k wallpapers would cost you guys a lot of money. Guess not :D

KamranMackey said:

AksumkA said: Wow, thought hosting over 240k wallpapers would cost you guys a lot of money. Guess not :D

Well, i think for a website like this you simply need a webserver with a lot of storage (which is cheap as fuck atm) and the ability to use high bandwidth (which you should easily get in the industry). I dont think its that hard to get that money back in if you have a big community to rely on that is willing to do a fiew donations every now and then.

Hey,

I want know if i can help, to translate in a new language (french) ? :)

I'm 21 years old, studies System Electronic Numerical and now I studying to be special educator.

I used Wallbase for the begining and I migrate now on wallhaven. I really enjoy this website to find so much pictures for my computer screen first, now to save beautiful pictures.

I want help cause i think that a big web site like wall haven need to have a lot of translation for other peoples. I have time to help for a long time, not one week and go away so...

Waiting your answer.

Last updated

Hey, do you guys still need devs ?

Why my postings are deleted here?

Quentoo If you're going to apply at least read the description in the first post.

I'm really interested in being part of the team. Unless my vast experience is very deep on JAVA EE, also I've developed with PHP , JavaScript and other languages...

I think i can give you great ideas and probably some experiments.. I'm really exited to be part of the team... I've almost 16 years of experience working on web develpment since .NET, JAVA, PHP and PlayFramework... Also a descent background on ORM's but still didn't made any serious thing with NOSQL databases... but I learn quick, and enjoy learning and doing new things....

My native language is spanish, but I'm fine talking and texting on english...

greetings from SCZ/BO on the south american heart !

check my linkedin: [url] https://www.linkedin.com/in/efsandino[/url]