Duplicates and the way people go crazy on them

Hey everyone,

this is about my third day here and to be honest I am close to leaving again. But I am not the quitter type of person, so I wanted to express my concern first.

During the last couple of days, I got contacted by people complaining, that some of my uploaded wallpapers are duplicates to other uploads, especially those they uploaded themselves. Not only, that it is a really bad behavior and a bad start, if you are new to a community, but also, I am not sure what those people expect of me or what I can do about it.

You know, I am absolutely sure, that some of my uploads have been uploaded already. I mean it lies in the nature of things, that if you download wallpapers all over the internet, that others do the same and that because of this, you will upload the same as they did. That's just the way it works. I can show you for every single image on here 10 other sources if you want me to. Most of the wallpapers on here aren't from the uploaders themselves, but copied images and walls from other sites. Therefor it is just normal, that people will upload duplicates.

I never did upload any images, which have been flagged as duplicates. As a matter of fact, none of my uploads have been flagged until today. Just one as far as I remember. I never uploaded any walls, that have been flagged as duplicates. Also - I didn't alter any of my uploads. I did download them mainly for me and my screen resolution, so they have been resized and cropped by the site I did download them from. I mean, there are literally thousands of wallpaper sites out there and most of them allow you to resize or crop your images.

What I don't get is - What do those people and what do the team here expect of me and other users? Do you really want us to check thousands and thousands of images, if a wallpaper has been uploaded before? How long do you think that would take? I did check the rules and there's none, which states, that you have to know each and every image, before you are allowed to upload anything.

But what me annoys the most is, that people act like I am stealing from them. Not sure why they do so, but I think they do forget, that this site is not about finding a cure for HIV or a way for world peace, but about wallpapers. Nothing too important. Don't get me wrong here - I do accept that you don't want to have duplicates on here. But shouldn't that be a technical question or issue, and not so much an issue for the user?

And while we are at it - Do you really think it is a good way, that people are playing cop and bug new people with things, they cannot change? I mean, what kind of community does that create? I personally feel so unwelcome on here. Those people, they act like they want to mark their territory. Like they're losing something. Maybe fame? I don't know. None the less, I am still not sure, what I can do about it and what you expect of me. If you ask me, there shouldn't be a rule for duplicates, but for people that hassle others. That's just not okay.

Anyhow - Just wanted to leave this as feedback. Not sure if this is of any interest for you. You know, I even wrote down a lot of this on my profile, as you can see here: https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/user/WallKing

If you really expect me to check all of the walls, before I upload one, please feel free and delete my account right away. I really like this site and the look of it, but I am not willing to make this more than a hobby. This is not my everyday job and I don't have the time to check all the images or to discuss things with people, which I cannot change at all. I am sorry, if this sounds a bit too harsh.

Again - Maybe people shouldn't be so serious about all of this. Noone is stealing food or money from them. It's just wallpapers. Some really should be more relaxed about it.

Last updated

Your are right. Had the same Issue. The best you can do is ignore this Users. Don't let them ruin your day. These Users think this IS there property and their place. They fight for every Picture as would cost it there lives when someone else has the nerves to upload it. Worst is, when you upload it first and they can't upload it.

Just go with our Boss Gandalf:

"NO NEED TO HATE.WE DEAL WITH THE TROLLS"                  

For me you are very welcome here. I don't mind if you upload one of my uploads again. It happens. It happend. and it will happen in the future.

Have a nice Day

WP

WallKing: The best way to sort out this issue is to write a PM to AksumkA. I am sure he will deal with it the best way he can.

WallKing Don't let a few screaming individuals get to you. Sadly a handful of people here are very protective of "their" uploads… The best stance is to be chill about it. If someone is sending you abuse please let us know.

We have proper duplicate detection on the way, it's just a matter of time. Once that works uploading duplicates should no longer be possible. Until then we have to rely on users to report any potential duplicates so we can clear them out manually (which can be slow, sorry about that).

PS: Welcome to the site. ;)

WallKing I not sure about it but I can guess you're talking mainly about one user. So please don't blame the community, just ignore a few individuals.

And welcome to the site :)

Looks like everyone's basically said what I would already!

We don't expect or even want you guys wasting time checking for every upload before you upload it. With almost half a million uploads no reasonable person would expect you to!

While it might not hurt to do a quick search for what you're about to upload just to quickly check, it's still our job to make sure dupes aren't getting uploaded. As Gandalf mentioned, we do have a much better dupe detection system on the way. I'm hoping to get a portion of it ready in the next week or so. Once it's fully implemented I'm hoping we'll see a huge drop in dupe uploads. But we still need time on it so hang tight!

As for those of you who's uploads are getting uploaded again: Do not attribute ignorance to malice. No one should be expecting anyone to check through their entire upload history to make sure no toes get stepped on. Do as you've been doing in the past: Report them with the ID of your upload and let us (the staff) take care of from there.

Guys, I just wanted to thank you for your kind words and your warm welcome. I am happy to see, that you are relaxed about those things and I am thankful for all the work you put into this site!

Cryzeen - You are absolutely right. It wasn't fair of me, to blame the whole community, because a few individuals are acting strangely. I do apologize for it!

I try my best to avoid duplicates, whenever I am able to. Especially with newer walls it's easier and I did delete 5+ walls, which I uploaded today, after I saw, that they have been uploaded already. I still might have missed some and I am always willing to delete others, if you let me know about it. It's way harder to do so with older walls, which reach 2, 3 or more years back. Therefor I wanted to thank the mods and the team for their work and effort. I am pretty sure it's not always easy for you people as well and maybe it's not the most thankful job on planet earth. So, thanks!

Last updated

If the administration can do a duplicates check, then thank you very much. I really wait for this... and thousands images that i have. Thanks for all.

StarJericho said:

If the administration can do a duplicates check, then thank you very much. I really wait for this... and thousands images that i have. Thanks for all.

You got in wrong some place , they wont search/check for the duplicates that has already been uploaded The new dupe system (that they are still working on) will prevent you from uploading them in future but the one that already has , it will still need to be reported

TCBfergie said:

StarJericho said: You got in wrong some place , they wont search/check for the duplicates that has already been uploaded The new dupe system (that they are still working on) will prevent you from uploading them in future but the one that already has , it will still need to be reported

That's what i mean, yes... sorry for my eng =)

Yes we must still report them. And there are THOUSANDS of duplicates here. Maybe it would be easier for the Admins when everything would be deleted and start fresh ? Would safe them really a lot of time ?