Burning Chrome

The most evocative William Gibson story, in my opinion.

I want the cyberpunk-iness of this story to flash as I login and out.

At present, google search returns book posters, cover art and things like that, which are entirely unpolished and quite unsuitable for a wallpaper (somme would argue that that is the whole point of cyberpunk, but...)

I am thinking of a mashup of (flat, matte, circutry-ish, intense faces lit up by glow, scrolling code, monochrome-ish, clean, yet background-ish)

The whole Gibson oeuvre needs some visualization. Burning Chrome is a good place to start.

William Gibson wrote a short story called Burning Chrome. If you haven't read the story, it helps to think of a literary version of any of the many Matrix hacking scenarios. A hacker breaks into a network called "Chrome", supposedly very difficult to break in. There is a love triangle involving a bar girl and his hardware expert.

But the story is really about the "cyberpunk" environment, and Gibson's style of prose.

I want a wallpaper that captures the spirit of the story. I am a reader of some renown, but I can't illustrate to save my life.

I've never heard of that. We do have a bunch of steampunk wallpapers but since I don't know the store I can't really tell which of them will capture the ambiance you're looking for.

All I can say is cyberpunk is nothing like steampunk. Steampunk evokes solid metal, clanging, copper, golden colour, leather jackets and eyepatches and steam. Cyberpunk is "hightech", squalor, claustrophobic spaces, neon, green terminals, mutant-y humans, t shirts, spiky hair, healthy but bone thin humans etc.,

<one hour later> Guess it is time to learn GIMP.