The site could use a video game tag along General, Anime and People

I feel that video game is a really big tag which is popular enough to be on its own. In fact, I was looking for game wallpapers when I found this page.

i think the categories are not necessary at all. we could use tags for 'anime' and 'people' just as for 'video games', but if we have categories, three is pretty enough. i'm not sure why it's 'general-anime-people', maybe it's just how it was in the beginning, but adding more isn't rational. there are few much more used tags than video games, you can see it sorting tags by 'most tagged'("women" for example), so should we have a category for every popular tag?

If I remember correctly, the categories are like that because the former site, wallbase, populated its database with wallpapers from a 4chan thread that had these three categories.

But I agree it's now rather useless.

I do agree with the op, it should have a video game category and the anime could be changed to Media (to include movies and series as well). I think categories are useful as a sort of default broad tag, leaving the other tags to narrow the list to specific things. Sure, we can always search the most popular tags but uploaders are not forced to add video game (example) as a tag and the wallpapers could fall trough the cracks. They may not choose the right category as well but its less likely than tags (remember that they had to force the 2 tags because people were not adding any). Also, women would go into the people category.

rgpires said:

I do agree with the op

Wow, then why shouldn't we split 'General' to:

Location Miscellaneous Nature Vehicles Technology Animals Landscapes Artwork

and so on? We could create a category from every popular tag, why stop on 'video games'? I'm too lazy to be constructive right now, but it's useless to explain anyway. Those three main categories is the only flaw of this site, in my opinion. The same purpose could be achieved by regular tags, and I think the categories is rather a tradition than a reason.

Spliting things is not the point im trying to make, let me clarify. The way i see it, categories catter to certain tastes without being too specific. People -> Woman, men, children... - if you are an extroverted person and likes people General -> Location, miscellaneous... - if you prefer beautiful things to see that dont really pose. Media(instead of anime) -> star wars, x-men, comics, series... - if you like entertainment

And following that train of thought maybe video games is a wrong name for the category, Digital maybe is slightly better (?) so that it includes digital art, abstract, video games, artwork - if you want a "made to look good" sort of art.

It may not be the best solution so rework it, sure, but i dont think removing it would improve much. And yeah, if there are too many categories the page would be cluttered, but thats the same reason i think tags isnt the best option either. Say you want to see women wallpapers, you click the most tagged -> now you have women, model, brunette, blonde -> you have to open each tag to see the wallpapers, duplicates included. And thats a huge waste of time in my opinion.

Last updated

Surely it is perfectly reasonable to not want to see "anime" so I de-select it. I also don't want to see CGI bollocks like this: https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/238058 NSFW

So I would like to be able to exclude it in the same way.

Unless there is an exclude tags option I am missing...? which, to be fair would actually be the most general solution that appears to align with everyone's interests....

OK, there is tags blacklist in browsing settings.