Why are reported duplicates being "cleared and merged" now instead of "deleted", even though they've actually been deleted?

Also noticed it. And Wallpaper are no longer grouped as i can see

@WallpaperManiac said:

Also noticed it. And Wallpaper are no longer grouped as i can see

You're right. I just checked some old wallpapers that I was sure had had groups and they no longer have any.

Edit: Now I get it. That change was actually made many months ago. That's really just what merging means. When two wallpapers are the same we transfer all properties (tags, favs etc.) from one to the other and delete one of them. What else should we do with it? ;)

The grouping is currently invisible (still exists, for now) because we had some performance issues with it.

Gandalf said:

Edit: Now I get it. That change was actually made many months ago. That's really just what merging means. When two wallpapers are the same we transfer all properties (tags, favs etc.) from one to the other and delete one of them. What else should we do with it? ;).

That makes sense now that you explained what happens but the wording in the notifications make it seem like the dupe wasn't a dupe so we're keeping it(especially since its still linked) but then it turns it out it no longer exists. That could probably be revamped in a future update. Something like "The wallpaper duplicate you reported has been removed. It's properties were merged with [original wp]."

OR

I happen to think "grouped" is a better word for when you group similar but different size wallpapers together instead of "merged". Ergo: "The wallpaper you reported has been grouped with [xxxxxx]." for similar but not duplicate wallpapers. "The wallpaper duplicate you reported has been merged with [xxxxxx]." for duplicates.

I'm just spitballing here. I know once we've got duplicate detection working this will all be moot.