[Windows app]Wallhaven.cc downloader

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR] I'am so sorry, I'am not found this line in FAQ while searching for, but now I understood what mistake i maked. Quote from FAQ:

Am I allowed to run scrapper/mass download scripts? Being in alpha means we still have a long way to go before the site is optimized to its full potential. You may already noticed how slow the site can be at times. Because of this we do ask that you please refrain from running scrappers or mass download scripts. We are planning on releasing an API at some point which should allow for easier ways accomplish whatever you're tring to do, but until the API is ready we do ask that you do please hold off. We are operating on a shoe-string budget here!

If any one from administration give me permission to publish my program, I will.

UPDATE: You can find source code on GitHub

oh, btw, here is program screenshots, just to be sure its really exists. Google Drive Folder

Last updated

The screenshots looks very promising to me. I love to spend money on this if this is even a small paid service. The best best ever website for wallpapers in the whole universe. I visited daily. Specially I love how favorites and subscriptions will work. Mass download we surely need it.

Best of luck Alpha Heaven Team

mujtabazia I'm really proud that someone have interest to my program, I think it possible to made some kind of access rights that free users have limit speed(or amount of pictures to download/day) to not load servers a lot. And premium users have unlimited access. Of course all money will go to wallhaven.cc to upgrade servers. But I think chances to bring it to live in short time is very low as well as admins give any permissions to make program available to anyone.

Sorry for my English. English is not my native language.

Last updated

mujtabazia Pay for it? :\ Open Source ftw. Also, I think the wallhaven team should add AdSense.

Nice job keeping the app simple, intel777 Legal stuff: Legally, you CAN run those scripts and you CAN share them. Why?

we do ask that you do please hold off.

They're asking you to hold off. Without any sort of prohibition! Meaning if you do so, you're a jerk, but by no means a criminal GodD**ned lawyers :D

Last updated

Holy I know, that legally this words have no any power, but I wanna make wallhaven better place to everyone. If I open source or share this program(as I was make before find this lines at FAQ), 20-30 people, or even one man when I fix multithreating, can simply DDoS wallhaven's servers. And there won't be any wallpapers at all. Of course, since not so long time ago site use SSL and it really makes download slower(yeah I wrote first version at 2-3 days before wallhaven moved to HTTPS). But anyway I don't wanna make troubles to this nice place and it's admins.

And as always: Sorry for my bad English.

Last updated

intel777

You deserve that proud feeling and everyone else who think of that feature. I like the idea of limited user and premium user. Bur premium user should also have the ability to batch download the photos. I can't wait to see how I can download all my favorite folder photos at once or in few batches.

Keep up the good work guys and alpha heaven team .

Mujtaba

intel777 mujtabazia

Every user HAS TO BE limited in order for the rest of us to enjoy the experience of just browsing the site. A 10 seconds timer between every file download request seems OK.

Also, mujtabazia, a "Donate" button seems a lot better.

Last updated

Successfully added download from upload by-username and favorites-by-username and make it works. Of course it have some bugs, but its easy to fix it. Also added ability to change Start ID when selected linear download.

New screenshots on google drive

I made this one a long time ago, perhaps a year already. It's a scraper for DeviantArt but in the wallpaper section I included Wallhaven and another site. It's working but the program in general still needs some work, I stopped working on I but will probably finish it sometime...

You can input search keywords and flick off the purity and type similar to how this website works When you click on a downloaded entry in the list the picture will show up on the right in the box with some info beneath it The selectable resolutions and aspect ratios are in there but you can also add custom ones It's kinda big though, I love how simple yours is and I am really a scrub in coding so my code really is a mess, yours looks clean

Last updated

Strinix You're Welcome So, your application goes through the search results? intel777

If you guys need any help with code or JavaScript, just send me a private message. I am pretty sure we can create an efficient application. Also, I'd recommend HTML Agility Pack.

Last updated

Holy said:

HTML Agility Pack.

I'm using CsQuery, It's easiest way for me to parse HTML.

intel777 said:

I'm using CsQuery, It's easiest way for me to parse HTML.

HTML Agility pack is (somewhat) actively maintained(better than CsQuery anyways) and totally wins in a performance race. But, that is just my opinion. Yes, I've seen the selection comparison.. I guess it is best if used correctly.

Last updated

Yes it goes through the search results I do use HTML Agility Pack It's btw coded in C#.net, I could make a standalone version for wallhaven and share the code

Strinix said:

It's btw coded in C#.net, I could make a standalone version for wallhaven and share the code

I already figured it out ;) Some questions: So, you parse the html and get info like "id" "thumb-res" and then use them or what? Do you use a webcontrol or just httprequests/webclients. Are the results limited due to infinity scroll? Do you simulate scroll down? Do you use HAP to get all image urls?

Holy

So, you parse the html and get info like "id" "thumb-res" and then use them or what?

Using xpath I get the url of the individual wallpaper page from each result in results. From there I take the original quality picture link and download it. I am very sure this is not the quickest method but it works and I'm not that good yet, everything is self taught and google...

Do you use a webcontrol or just httprequests/webclients.

Webclients.

Are the results limited due to infinity scroll?

No because I work with pages, since it's in the url (just like every search option). It downloads every result from the page and then jumps on to the next page.

Do you simulate scroll down?

I don't know what you mean with scroll down, scrolling down what?

Do you use HAP to get all image urls?

Yes, using HTML nodes and xpath to be precise.

Strinix Aha.. I thought so. intel777 uses the same way dealing with page url. If you use a webcontrol, you can then programmatically scroll down the page and load lots of thumbs. It is better than loading lots of pages and it keeps things simple. Plus you can view loaded thumbs.

Last updated

Holy Sounds good lol, I'll have to do some research as I have no idea how to use webcontrol. Do you mean viewing thumbs before or after downloading? My program shows the pictures that are downloaded if you click on them in the listbox (+ some other info).

Aside from all that it also adds some info to the metadata like the link to the picture and uploader

Strinix web browser control is really easy :] You can have the power of C# with JS, HTML and XPath. Basically anything a webbrowser can do!

As for viewing thumbs, that is up to you. If the user decides to download his/another user's uploads OR favorites, you can view thumbs while/after/before downloading. If you know html, you can also create you own page and maybe add checkboxes on top of those thumbs. After that, write the html to the webbrowser.document

Long story short "Loading" and viewing the thumbs before/while/after "Downloading". It is much better than designing your own custom ListBox control and binding it to your image info.

If I was a good designer (or at least a designer), I'd definitely use html5/css UI inside a web browser control. Of course, logic and other stuff are dealt with using C#.

Because let's face it, html/JS is lighter and even sometimes better than XAML elements. I mean did you search for WinJS? with beautiful html5 designs...

Also, if you were to consider building your UI with html5/css, I'd definitely recommend either CefSharp (Chromium Framework) or Geckofx (FireFox /Full gecko) DO NOT Use The provided Web-browser element!

It is a trap! It is a wrapper for Internet Explorer... What is more effing ridiculous is that it uses your current version of Internet Explorer... (LOL, Welcome to stack/heap Buffer Overlow and Drive-by-Downloads world) 2spooky4us

FYI: This site was build with html5, awesome font and blah blah blah.

Last updated

Holy Thanks a lot! I'll definitely get into that.

Because lets face it, html/JS is lighter and even sometimes better than XAML elements. I mean did you search for WinJS? with beautiful html5 designs...

I don't know what you exactly mean by lighter, do you mean the size? I'm pretty sure the C languages are very light unless you're taking about a part that C#can't do

Strinix The empty template WPF apps take ~20MB(20000000000 Bytes) Memory. Compiling for x64 CPU(s)? Don't get me started... This page takes up only 4.57 MB. That is what I mean by "Lighter".

Those are just my recommendations if you are into designing and learning new stuff while you're at it.

Hi guys, its been long time since last post in this thread. I have no time to work on program until today. So first think that I made is update function, I thing its feature can save a lot of users time. So, as you can see, it works!

intel777 well done! nice app. i liked. the only i want is downloads my favs xD but with your app is more powerful

Hello, guys. Today source code has been released and you can get it on Github.

I done that only because I'm not sure about my ability to complete it, but development won't be deprecated.