Eternal Alpha???

It seems this site has been had the Alpha tag for years, do you ever intend to enter beta, let alone final, or will it be forever Alpha?

::: emma :::

Better a great Alpha as getting a "404" and see nothing

why you want so much alpha to end? Is there some function that not are available becouse of alpha? Only name alpha would dissapear and everything would be the same

current alpha version is 0.5.3 if you want to know

emmasteadman If you want things to move faster feel free to join the dev team. Until then we'll just proceed at the speed we can afford. ^^

For what it's worth, I do expect we'll hit beta this year. There are still some pending breaking changes that need to be made before we can move out of alpha.

I don't understand what is the problem of users with the word "Alpha"

I think the problem is that people don't like waiting years for beta and plus when beta come All uploads and user accounts will be deleted at the end of the alpha in other words the uploader wallpaper user will suffer for this reason all users are waiting by beta beta will be the final version of the website ?

AksumkA said:

Redline, That's the idea.

Please don't delete any data when you guys enter beta. I don't want any wallpapers or user accounts (mostly my account) to vanish when the site hits beta!

Yes, don't delete the data of ALL the Uploaders here. They do such a great work. What do other Users think ?

KamranMackey @wallpapermaniac We don't want to delete any data. The problem is that throughout the time of our alpha a lot of the data has become corrupted in various ways through bugs. It's very difficult to tell exactly how much, so we're obviously hoping to keep as much as possible but we just can't make any promises. That's why we were very clear from the start that we may have to delete a lot of it.

Gandalf So from a development standpoint I can see the reason for deletion. However, if some is kept and some isn't, is there the possibility of informing the uploaders something has been deleted due to the beta release? or the beta just deletes everything anyways so no reason for a notification?

mattilius258, we'll be gearing up for beta for some time before it happens so we'll give plenty notice and also be perfectly clear about what exactly is getting wiped (still TBD). This has been our intention since we realised things would get messy and a (second) clean slate was going to be necessary. We are hoping to compromise - keeping existing user accounts is a start, for example.