Changes to uploading/uploads

We just pushed an update to the site!

Big changes for uploaders:

• Each wallpaper must now have at least two tags applied
    • Uploaders now have 24 hours to change the category of their upload or remove it
    • Uploads can now be abandoned.

Abandoned uploads will no longer have the uploader's name publicly tied to the upload nor will it show under their uploads list. Staff will still be able to see who uploaded what, so this is NOT a way to upload rule breaking content without getting caught. We may remove this option if we see it being abused.

This update also brings the change to subscriptions I talked about a few months ago here. Basically, inactive accounts will now have their subscriptions paused until they become active again. If you're reading this and are logged in, you won't see any change here.

Speaking of subscriptions, we've also tweaked how tag subscription notices go out on freshly uploaded wallpapers. There should no longer be ghost notices, or late notices for fresh uploads.

Finally, we've been getting to the point where we've grown enough to merit some important pages. Please take a minute to read our new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. If you have any questions about these feel free to email us at [email protected].

The rest of the update notes are in the usual place over here! Let us know if you run into problems or just have something to say!

Last updated

AksumkA said:

• Each wallpaper must now have at least two tags applied

It will help clearing the untagged section for sure ^^

AksumkA said:

• Uploads can now be abandoned.

What does it mean?

@dwemer said:

AksumkA said: What does it mean?

It means that you can remove your name as the uploader on walls that you have uploaded. You can find this option in the tools section of the individual wallpaper (bottom left corner of the page).

Thanks for the explanation. Why do we need this option, again? And does it mean I'm no longer the uploader of some certain wall, or it only hides my name?

@dwemer said:

Thanks for the explanation. Why do we need this option, again? And does it mean I'm no longer the uploader of some certain wall, or it only hides my name?

For example you have a nosy/curious girlfriend, but you want to hide the fact, that you upload "nasty" stuff too . And sometimes i upload weird redhead-girls and stuff only the user "lezboyd" would like. So you could put this "extra" here without getting in the spot to attract public attention for irregular uploads.

AksumkA thank you for this. I often forget to add the right category when i focus on tagging because my brain is busy chatting/watching movies too. And then when i think everything is ok, i put the "finish" only to regret it 5 seconds later. :/

have a nice weekend

microcosmos said:

For example you have a girlfriend

no :(

Added 2016-08-19 10:25:19

Also, I tried to upload to test 2 minimum tags and I think category and purity should not be preselected by default

Last updated

Wow. There was a lot of wallpapers with no tags, now there'll be a lot of wallpapers with junk tags.

@theiggs said:

Wow. There was a lot of wallpapers with no tags, now there'll be a lot of wallpapers with junk tags.

do you think people are SO lazy to type something like "spaceship, science fiction"?

@dwemer said:

do you think people are SO lazy to type something like "spaceship, science fiction"?

Do you think this railway is pixel art? https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/425109 I've browsed through some wallpapers, some of the new ones already have unsuitable tags. We'll see what happens next. People don't like to be forced, you know. Although usually people could have put more effort in everything.

@theiggs said:

@dwemer said: Do you think this railway is pixel art? https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/425109 I've browsed through some wallpapers, some of the new ones already have unsuitable tags. We'll see what happens next. People don't like to be forced, you know. Although usually people could have put more effort in everything.

graphic design? Really?

Some uploaders are really lazy enough that when they upload a batch of unrelated images they'll just mass tag them with the same tags.

@theiggs

so you think it would be better to have no minimum tags on upload?

Added 2016-08-20 12:41:44

next step: neural networks

defurious said:

graphic design? Really? Some uploaders are really lazy enough that when they upload a batch of unrelated images they'll just mass tag them with the same tags.

I saw that one. Though to be fair I believe some uploaders simply don't understand how the uploading form works, i.e. that they have to select the wallpapers they wish the tags to apply to. I'll have to figure out a way to make it even more idiot proof but it's not easy…

Gandalf, you're a developer after all, let's imagine we want to set up a neural network for it to scan all uploads and tag them. How much resources it will cost?

@dwemer I have absolutely no idea. I've never spent any time learning about machine learning. But since even various large corporations are still unable to provide satisfactory solutions I'd say it would exceed our resources by at least a few magnitudes.

well, neural networks should become cheap when we go to beta stage

Gandalf said:

defurious said: I saw that one. Though to be fair I believe some uploaders simply don't understand how the uploading form works, i.e. that they have to select the wallpapers they wish the tags to apply to. I'll have to figure out a way to make it even more idiot proof but it's not easy…

Only solution I can think of is to make a few tutorial popups next to sections of the upload page that show up for first time uploaders. I'm sure you've seen what I'm talking about on some web apps.

defurious Someone suggested that before, I may not get around it. Personally I believe that a UI that isn't completely self explanatory is just not good enough yet. On the other hand, if I'm not able to make it better maybe I should just cut my losses and submit to the tutorial-by-tooltip cult.

voyager In the future.

Machine learning? Pfffft. Badges! "Tagger", "Super Tagsman", "Mega Taggerizer" - and you have a bunch of users tagging billions of wallpapers.

[0qolqr]

@theiggs and why do you think the tags will be correct? They will just put whatever they like just for high numbers. Also I think badges, achievements and such shit is not what wallhaven was created for, you know. Not for ratings.

@WallpaperManiac I understand nothing. What were you trying to say with your wallpaper?

AksumkA Gandalf I know this thread is mainly about tagging images, but it is also about changes to uploading/uploads. I didn't bother searching posts about enhancing the current duplicates checker (if there is any).

So here is my suggestion: 1) Get uploaded files. A) Get info from exif/chunks and remove/skip exif/chunks. A1) Compute MD5 A2) Check if md5 exists in the file that is used to store md5 . (perhaps JSON is useful here. sql will do, however.)(don't continue if true and provide the link to the duplicate file) A3) Store computed hash in a stand-alone file. B) Get info from exif/chunks (You don't have to load the file. Just use a stream to read the header) B-1) B-A) Resize X,Yto somehing less than 100 pixels. B-A1) Convert to Bitmap. B-A2) Compute hash.

B-B) Convert to Bitmap
      B-B1) Compute hash

B-2) See A-2 B-3) Store computed hash in a stand-alon file.

2) Store the uploaded wallpaper.

in my case. I just used a stream and skipped until the following: PNG:

0x49 0x44 0x41 0x54

JPG:

0xFF 0xC0

or

0xFF 0xC2

and bingo: Here is every duplicate wallpaper that is tagged "anime girls" with purity setting of sketchy or nsfw. Care to report those, please? Thanks, chibi for removing duplicates.

Last updated

Holy

Solid write up there, thanks! We're actually currently doing something similar to your B-A workflow, but clearly it's crap.

Soon we'll be ready with IQDB so we'll be using that (with a fallback to our current shit system just in case) for dupe detection. I've been testing the piss out of it lately, and it looks like this will be a huge improvement. It will also give us the added bonus of allowing image based searches and searching for similar wallpapers already uploaded. Fingers crossed for sometime before the end of the year!

AksumkA Sounds promising. Adding a "Visiually similar" feature really is going to be a huge improvement!