horizontal flip for profile background

Nothing more to say, imo that would be handy feature ;)

Or you could open any image editing software and do it yourself.

sannukas0016 said:

Or you could open any image editing software and do it yourself.

What? We use wallpapers uploaded by users as backgrounds if you didn't notice.

Cryzeen You might feel that flipping is something fundamental. To me it's a very specific feature available in any editing software. I rarely ever flip wallpapers, but I edit contrast, saturation and gamma on some of them and resize and crop almost every single one. Why not include those handy features as well? As sannukas0016 said, you can do these things in matter of seconds in any editing software.

@swift502 said:

Cryzeen You might feel that flipping is something fundamental. To me it's a very specific feature available in any editing software. I rarely ever flip wallpapers, but I edit contrast, saturation and gamma on some of them and resize and crop almost every single one. Why not include those handy features as well? As sannukas0016 said, you can do these things in matter of seconds in any editing software.

What is wrong with you people? In order to do what you suggest I would have to not only violate copyrights of the owner but also upload a spammy wallpaper which can be classified as duplicate/low quality right away.

Cryzeen Did you mean profile backgrounds?

If so, I'm sorry. You need to be specific. "Background" is very indefinite term and I thought you meant the main desktop background. But even in that case, I don't see why you would need to flip the wallpaper. Profile background isn't that important really.

Last updated

@swift502 said:

Cryzeen Did you mean profile backgrounds? If so, I'm sorry. You need to be specific. "Background" is very indefinite term and I thought you meant the main desktop background. But even in that case, I don't see why you would need to flip the wallpaper. Profile background isn't that important really.

Oh, yea my bad I didn't say PROFILE background. For me computer background is just desktop :) I know it's not important but it would be nice little feature, sometimes something on background wallpaper which I like mixes with nickname so I would like to flip it.

Interesting. Now that I know what you're talking about I can tell you that this probably won't happen.

The profile background is integrated as a simple CSS background. We could theoretically give people some more control by using some more of the existing background related CSS properties (currently we only have a simplified position option). However CSS simply doesn't have a property that allows rotating or flipping a background-image.

(To clarify, there are properties that can flip an entire element, namely transform, however that is still experimental, resource intensive and browser support is spotty. Also we'd have to integrate the background differently and frankly I don't think it's worth the hassle.)

In short: The idea is good, but we likely won't do it because implementation is more pain than gain. Sorry.

Cryzeen I took the liberty of updating the thread title for a bit more clarity.

Cryzeen Yeah, I'm really sorry. :) And I kind of agree. I expected the background would require an URL, which I guess would allow for explicit images and inappropriate stuff like that.

Gandalf I think that a higher level of profile page customization in any form would be great. Understandably it isn't a priority, but maybe it's on the list?

Last updated

Gandalf said:

Interesting. Now that I know what you're talking about I can tell you that this probably won't happen. The profile background is integrated as a simple CSS background. We could theoretically give people some more control by using some more of the existing background related CSS properties (currently we only have a simplified position option). However CSS simply doesn't have a property that allows rotating or flipping a background-image. (To clarify, there are properties that can flip an entire element, namely transform, however that is still experimental, resource intensive and browser support is spotty. Also we'd have to integrate the background differently and frankly I don't think it's worth the hassle.) In short: The idea is good, but we likely won't do it because implementation is more pain than gain. Sorry. Cryzeen I took the liberty of updating the thread title for a bit more clarity.

This topic should have that title from the very beginning. My native language is nothing around english, please forgive ;) And thanks for clarifying the case.