scraping is very epic yes

the guys over in the-eye discord been scraping wallhaven because the html scraping method is going away and they think the api will not allow downloads or something, it was pretty fucking funny

also frenchy wants you to know

discord with 1900+ people just pinged with Here

i hacked into the mainframe to post onto this closed website

this is epic

huh?

frenchys a nice guy from experience /s

ok buddy

i mention the api again and he starts to get a little mad

i wonder why

ok buddy

the eye is pretty cool, just sometimes they can be cancerous

Indeed.

Bit of an interesting situation, but totally unwarranted from Frenchy a call to action wasn't really needed IMO. Sorry about your website going down 0:

and yes, I am Randomm in those images..

I can understand scrapping, but when a sites devs specifically ask that you not and you crash their site because of it. The frenchy guys basically made this sound like internet trolls saying "fulfill our request or we DDoS you"

When will waiting be over for API, it has been long time for same.

My thoughts on this;

1. Wallhaven has been in alpha for an indefinite time
    2. Any development seems to have halted
    3. The site works flawlessly in itself
    4. Scraping is bad, you should feel bad
    5. There are valid reasons for not wanting to provide an API
    6. This is a community, not Rule34 (which has an API btw)
    7. No user pays for this, we should be happy and glad that we can use this...

I mean, we can all whine and mope about a lack of API, but I don't see any of us (myself included) putting forth the cash to upgrade all servers, feed development with coders, code and the like. The only reason I found this myself is because I was curious if there was anything going on in this aspect, it's been a question since... well years.

I am among those that would love to see an API, but alas, we gotta use what we got.

EDIT: IRCC, it's been a question since wallbase. Who remembers that site...? :D

jpdokter said:

My thoughts on this;

1. Wallhaven has been in alpha for an indefinite time
    2. Any development seems to have halted
    3. The site works flawlessly in itself
    4. Scraping is bad, you should feel bad
    5. There are valid reasons for not wanting to provide an API
    6. This is a community, not Rule34 (which has an API btw)
    7. No user pays for this, we should be happy and glad that we can use this... I mean, we can all whine and mope about a lack of API, but I don't see any of us (myself included) putting forth the cash to upgrade all servers, feed development with coders, code and the like. The only reason I found this myself is because I was curious if there was anything going on in this aspect, it's been a question since... well years. I am among those that would love to see an API, but alas, we gotta use what we got. EDIT: IRCC, it's been a question since wallbase. Who remembers that site...? :D

The main dev AA doesn't really need any money for servers and such. He pays for it all out of his own pocket and even if you ask he wouldn't take any donations. He does this for fun. He is also more or less the only one maintaining the code so yes it is slow, but he is working on it when he has time. Likewise there is a beta site and api he is working on so he can iron out issues before final release.

404011xz said:

jpdokter said: The main dev AA doesn't really need any money for servers and such. He pays for it all out of his own pocket and even if you ask he wouldn't take any donations. He does this for fun. He is also more or less the only one maintaining the code so yes it is slow, but he is working on it when he has time. Likewise there is a beta site and api he is working on so he can iron out issues before final release.

The point I was trying to make is that we should be a bit more grateful.