Firefox download | Tag purity | Albums

Firefox has a bug (decade old, still there, not going to be fixed) that when you download an image in the right click context menu it redownloads the picture no matter how many gigabytes of cache you have configured in about:config.

It'd be really nice if there was a setting that would allow the full size wallpaper page to only show a link or thumbnail instead of the fullscreen image; having it linking to the fullscreen version and replaced by it when clicked.

Assuming that "bug" is a thing why does it matter? Wallpaper files are only a few MB. Unless you have the most horrible connection in the world that shouldn't be an issue?

Apparently I can't have 2 ideas in 1 day. so, here it comes:

Tag purity Instead of setting the purity for each tag explicitly it can be computed as follows: purity index = ([some number between 0 and 1 that needs to be adjusted with some time] * [number of yellow pictures with said tag] + [number of red pictures with said tag]) / [number of all pictures with said tag] now you can show a color by looking at the purity index number, like 0 to 0.3 green, 0.3 to 0.6 yellow and higher red.

there are of course more advance mathematical distributions that can be used with running averages so that the algorithm will only update the database with every few dozen or hundred submissions for most used tags and are O(number of new submissions since last calculation)

btw, With this you can make the purity filter a range slider which uses a weighted average of tag purity*log(tag usage). so that if I can search real NSFW pictures that don't contain nip slips or cameltoes(no offense to cameltoe guys).

Albums You can allow uploaders to put multiple related pictures in an album to make finding similar images easier without users having to literally stalk an uploader. For example I shoot a photo of a BMW, a benz, and a Jeep with the same camera on the same spot and tag them with car, road, BMW | Benz | Jeep

Currently NO ONE will be able to find the 3 images using the search feature; The only viable option right now is going through what the uploader has uploaded which is a pain if the uploader has a lot of uploads.

btw, thanks for this great site, You're always #1 for me, even without these.

Gandalf said:

Assuming that "bug" is a thing why does it matter? Wallpaper files are only a few MB. Unless you have the most horrible connection in the world that shouldn't be an issue?

EDITED Thanks for the fast reply.

I do, it's a wifi connection over like 5 kM distance. beside that, there are like 20% firefox users which should mean about 10-15%? more traffic for you? Isn't that something to consider?

I would check your access.log file for dups, really.

Edit 2 2005: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=296800 2009: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=530288 2010:https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/why-does-firefox-downloads-the-cached-image-again-while-saving 2010: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548576 2012: https://superuser.com/questions/416730/how-to-save-pictures-from-firefox-without-re-downloading Apparently people just gave up on reporting this bug after that

Last updated

Deferred download There are a whole bunch of FF users, myself included, but that still doesn't make a fresh download an issue. Most people don't sit behind a 5km wifi connection (seriously? xD). Bandwidth isn't a problem on our server side either, at least not on that scale (scrapers are way more problematic). We try not to clutter our settings by adding things that only help a small subset of our users. In this case I doubt that any significant portion of users would even understand the point of the setting. I understand if you're annoyed if this slows down your browsing experience but maybe there are other ways to compensate for that on your end? There are some addons out there that add a download button directly on the thumbnail, maybe that'll help you.

Tag purity I've thought about that before but it doesn't really save us much work. Setting an appropriate purity for tags isn't a big challenge, most users are able to make an appropriate decision on that. More importantly though I don't think that a tag's purity should necessarily represent exactly that of the uploads it is tagged with. Consider women, which is intentionally flagged SFW (because women aren't all sketchy…) even though the majority of its wallpapers are flagged sketchy or nsfw.

Albums We've gotten a few requests for upload collections. I've mostly argued that we already have collections and uploaders can just make use of those to categorize their own uploads. But it does seem like there is an increasing demand for this so maybe that's something we should reconsider. No promises yet!

edit: If you have any other suggestions don't hesitate (and don't be discouraged if they get rejected, sorry…). But please open a new thread to keep them separate. ;)

Thanks, I tried but the site didn't allow me to create a separate thread. Yes, seriously, there are a couple small mountains in the way too:)

The log(tag usage) part will take care of the women tag issue. there are some very accurate statistical distributions and functions for this. of course users should be able to set the purity manually if the automatic thingy fails to do so. that's where you get the baseline from.

EDITED

btw, IM-honest-O It's not our fault if women go around naked, we shouldn't have to change the purity of every image to nsfw manually.;) seriously, If this one is political change the men to nsfw too, less manual labor for uploaders

I'm not sure this is worthy of another thread: Are you using exif for dup detection?

Last updated

DEFEA1ED said:

I tried but the site didn't allow me to create a separate thread.

Well that's not supposed to happen. Did you try in a different subforum?

It's not our fault if women go around naked

Dude what. The sketchy/nsfw pictures uploaded here have very little in common with how women walk around…

we shouldn't have to change the purity of every image to nsfw manually.;)

I thought this was about tags?

Are you using exif for dup detection?

Nope.

Gandalf Sorry, that was a lot of jokes jumbled together.
    I guess I have to explain "man-u-ally" and the missed comma in political ", " change. :)

Yes, I honestly thought that one example that women is SFW because of political reasons where it actually shouldn't be. The counter argument is that boobs are NSFW while not being inherently so, because boobs aren't all NSFW.

1024 x 76825
    1920 x 120034
    1920 x 10807

If you let an algorithm decide that a tag is NSFW because most of its pictures are tagged NSFW no one is going to complain for sexualizing women or gender bias or whatever the SJWs complain about.