54% of New Uploads are AI Art

I crunched some numbers (see here), and found that 54.7% of the last ~400 images uploaded to General that are SFW, are AI Art.

When non-ai art is becoming the exception, the amount of uploaded AI Art is clearly a problem, and with the tools getting easier and more popular, this will only become more of an issue.

That's not the only reason it's a problem:

AI Art is low quality.

Blacklisting the tag is not enough:

• You'd have to teach every user how to blacklist - as you can see from it being mentioned all of the growing number of AI-related threads.
    • Subscriptions still include images with blacklisted tags.
    • Users without accounts can't blacklist the tag.

What can be done about it?

1. Ban AI Art with visible "AI Blur/Artifacts" - this is a main gripe with AI Art, that it's low quality. One of the main rules is that uploads shouldn't be low quality, and this is just a continuation of that.
    2. Blacklist AI art for all users by default, including unregistered ones, and fix it so that blacklisted tags don't show up in subscriptions.
    3. Limit the amount of AI art you can upload per week. As most of the AI art are coming from a small amount of users, this will curve the floodgates of uploades, until something more permanent can be done about it.
    4. Add in a new AI filter, next to General / Anime / People, so that all users can quickly decide if they want to see it or not. By having a prominent filter button, this will also serve to promote AI art for those searching for the new medium, without disrupting regular users, so it's a good compromise.
    Last updated

Agreed with everything on this post. I also dislike how many "sexy girls" "hot woman" wallpaper there are, disabling "people" does nothing since 90% of them are digital made.

I used to love this website but nowadays with the authors not giving source(I wish this was mandatory, ban given if not correctly added source to the image) nor giving a crap about quality(lots of jpeg art, ai artifacts), wallhaven its becoming a bad website.

Last updated

I agree with that, to an extent: AI generated content isn't necessarily a full medium, it can be used as a tool integrating itself into traditional workflows. Should these works be labelled "AI art" too as long as some AI was used in the creation process ? Where's the frontier between AI assistance and AI "art" ?

samutlgfx said:

Agreed with everything on this post. I also dislike how many "sexy girls" "hot woman" wallpaper there are, disabling "people" does nothing since 90% of them are digital made.

I used to love this website but nowadays with the authors not giving source(I wish this was mandatory, ban given if not correctly added source to the image) nor giving a crap about quality(lots of jpeg art, ai artifacts), wallhaven its becoming a bad website.

I agree. Adding the source for wallpapers should be mandatory. That'll fix a lot of problems.

Added 1 minute after

LostError Man, you did some work back there.

LostError I can't really dispute anything that you have presented. I have been saying that for a while now.

I am rather hesitant on your fourth solution, since it mostly allows the issue of the flood to continue unabated. Sooner or later it is going to become a matter of disk space, and this website while large isn't infinite.

I find myself disagreeing with anyone that says that AI Art is inevitable, because at this point it seems clear to me that is takes the person out of the creation and that does things that I have seen before, none of them good.

Good to see I'm not the only one disliking the AI Art flood. Agree with everything LostError said. As soon as you zoom in on those images they look horrible. Maybe 1 out of 100 has the quality to be used as an actual wallpaper.

Would love to have an option to filter them out.

Artstation AI Art Filter Filters like this would require correct tagging of course.

I wouldn't mind making it a 4th category either.

+1, the current quality of AI generated imagery is too low for use as a wallpaper on a high resolution display

I made a account here so I can say

FUCK AI ART!!!

I am really getting annoyed by the "AI Art"-Spamming.

Honestly, I'm pissed - this website used to be goated when it came to wallpapers but now it's filled with random AI boobas.

Agree!! I used to love this site, but my subscriptions are useless now because most of it is AI Art. And i‘m not interested in generic AI crap.

This site needs a filter, or the blacklist has to work on subscriptions. Shouldn’t be that big of a feature to implement.

UebelBAM said:

This site needs a filter, or the blacklist has to work on subscriptions. Shouldn’t be that big of a feature to implement.

You'd think that. And honestly, fair.

To get the blacklist working in the subs will mean I'll have to completely rewrite how the subs work.

I'll have to do something about them anyway, the way they currently work just isn't scalable. But I'll have to see what I can come up with.

In the mean time, I'm taking a look at adding an easy toggle to both the main site search and user browsing settings.

Check the discord every so often, I'll probably post some progress updates there.

No ETAs. Ya'll have no idea how long it's been since the last time I did any code updates on this shit.

AksumkA said:

No ETAs. Ya'll have no idea how long it's been since the last time I did any code updates on this shit.

I have a mental image of you opening up a mainframe room door marked "Wallhaven" and just grabbing random cables and wires while random stuff falls out of the cable boxes.

I completely agree with all posts here and especially with samutlgfx. Even though my avatar is AI art.

NickTrick6 said:

Stupid fucking """"hot"""''' AI wamen +1

This. How am I even meant to filter these rendered asian women since apparently they don't count as "anime"?

I often came to WH weekly to see new wallpapers, was always amazed by it. Now it's the same anime art over and over =(, tried the filters but most images doesn't seem to be tagged, it really broke the experience..

+1 artificial intelligence is a really cool thing

Artificial intelligence is a very cool thing, it speeds up the work of illustrators and reveals the cool quality of art.