Question about featured pictures with political controversy

This newly featured picture is not just lego but a political symbol about the tiananmen square protests in 1989 apparently. https://wallhaven.cc/w/p9komm

In my submission, users should feel free to upload them, but it's not a good idea to feature such pictures with political controversy.

A lot of users are from a certain country that doesn't like their users engaging with such content. Just saying. I personally think it's okay to have it featured because historical negationism is a reall bad practice, but I see where Yukinoshita is coming from.

SuccubusJJ said:

A lot of users are from a certain country that doesn't like their users engaging with such content. Just saying. I personally think it's okay to have it featured because historical negationism is a reall bad practice, but I see where Yukinoshita is coming from.

I can't take it as historical negationism, many of my coworkers who lived near tiananmen square in 1980s told me a quite different story about it, and they are ordinary citizens, not some government propaganda. And yes, I am from china, but even chinese quarrels about it quite offen with each other. What's more, It's not about who is right or wrong, I even agree with some of their claims. But we are here because we love wallpapers and want to share them,and I personally think it's better not to bring such political argument.

I want to clarify for my country,about the incident in 1989, the so-called student movement. Completely is the product of hostile forces penetrate into student groups, resulted in tragedy, then if you don't stop them, eastern Europe upheaval scenario will be repeated in China, why did the so-called student leaders flee to some superpower in the first place after the incident? Is it really for the sake of the country that some of these so-called leaders are still conducting so-called independent activities in our Taiwan Province in an attempt to separate Taiwan Province from the Motherland? They just used it as a bargaining chip to become a passport to extravagance and debauchery. Moreover, I think the discussion on Google about this matter is biased, we have never disclosed the details of this matter to any country or government, but you can describe this matter in such detail that the facts are not true or false, and please respect any decision made by any country, they are far-sighted. American Democrocy is not the standard of democracy in the world. Please don't use your methods to compare with us. As the old Chinese saying goes, “A gentleman is harmonious but different.” Different ideologies create different ways of thinking and living that determine the different values of the people. If you want to know what we think, please come to us to have a deep understanding and then give a comment

Added 11 minutes after

I love my government, more love my motherland, hope this website will be better and better, on the premise of not politics

Last updated

fakenews said:

404011xz said:

Legos aren't evil.

It doesn't matter how many users are from Mainland China. We aren't Chinese citizens. Your government's censorship laws do not apply to us. We can post and discuss Tieneman Square, The Great Leap Forward, or anything else we please.

And I'm very curious, Yukinoshita: If you claim that "political controversy" should not be allowed on the site, does that mean you also support the removal of, for example, 通天太师's wallpapers that depict China enslaving America as a Communist vassal state like in https://wallhaven.cc/w/zy8xoj ? Or do your requests only apply to things that make the Chinese Communist Party upset?

Since I'm a big boy that's capable of ignoring things that insult my nation or my way of life, I personally don't care if 通天太师's post stays up or not. But I would like to know if you are willing to hold China's offensive content to the same standard you're holding us to.

I can abide dissenting opinions, and I can ignore things I don't like. I, for one, will NOT abide double standards.

Last updated

GenreLeap said:

fakenews said:

404011xz said:

Legos aren't evil.

And I'm very curious, Yukinoshita: If you claim that "political controversy" should not be allowed on the site, does that mean you also support the removal of, for example, 通天太师's wallpapers that depict China enslaving America as a Communist vassal state like in https://wallhaven.cc/w/zy8xoj ? Or do your requests only apply to things that make the Chinese Communist Party upset?

Since I'm a big boy that's capable of ignoring things that insult my nation or my way of life, I personally don't care if 通天太师's post stays up or not. But I would like to know if you are willing to hold China's offensive content to the same standard you're holding us to.

I can abide dissenting opinions, and I can ignore things I don't like. I, for one, will NOT abide double standards.

If you feel offended, you can of course make a complaint. But I don't think the two pictures are the same thing, and I don't agree with your description of this picture because political affairs have never been so simple. Moreover, this series of pictures has also caused controversy in China and received a lot of criticism. All your statements ignore the basic fact that the picture we are protesting is featured on the homepage by the administrator. But even if this picture does not insult Chinese users, it is not eligible to be featured as a wallpaper at all. Did the wallpaper you showed get featured? So, who is using the double standard?

Last updated

The picture does not attack Chinese citizens. The picture does not discriminate against anyone based on their race. The picture does not even have any political slogans like "Death to Communism." The picture is merely of a LEGO man standing in front of a tank. The only reason the picture is "political" is because YOUR government says so.

All YOUR statements ignore the basic fact that Wallhaven is NOT a Chinese website, and the Chinese Communist Party's opinions mean NOTHING here.

GenreLeap said:

fakenews said:

404011xz said:

Legos aren't evil.

It doesn't matter how many users are from Mainland China. We aren't Chinese citizens. Your government's censorship laws do not apply to us. We can post and discuss Tieneman Square, The Great Leap Forward, or anything else we please.

The question now is how to solve this problem, and both sides want to deal with it properly. We don't want to talk about this as much as you did about the whole Indian thing, I hope that all of us can feel the same way. The large number of Chinese users does not mean that Chinese people have privileges here. That friend just now may be a little anxious. I hope you can understand that for both sides, it is understandable that the differences in ideology and values lead to differences in national and ethnic awareness, but please respect our choice, "A gentleman is harmonious but different"

Last updated

Ooh, fascinating. You say that you don't believe Chinese users should have special privileges on here. I whole-heartedly agree.

If that's the case, then surely there isn't any problem with continuing the standard we've had on Wallhaven for the last decade or so:

"If you don't like it, just don't look at it."

There are wallpapers on here that disagree with my religion. I just ignore them. There are wallpapers on here that disagree with my nation. I just ignore them. There are wallpapers on here that disagree with my career. I just ignore them.

If anyone else on here sees a wallpaper that disagrees with them, they just ignore them.

Now it's your turn. The picture disagrees with your system of government.

Now just ignore it.

GenreLeap said:

The picture does not attack Chinese citizens. The picture does not discriminate against anyone based on their race. The picture does not even have any political slogans like "Death to Communism." The picture is merely of a LEGO man standing in front of a tank. The only reason the picture is "political" is because YOUR government says so.

All YOUR statements ignore the basic fact that Wallhaven is NOT a Chinese website, and the Chinese Communist Party's opinions mean NOTHING here.

We do not represent the Chinese Communist Party. We are just a group of rational Chinese who love our country, our nation, and thank you for your rationality

Added 37 minutes after

I regret that I can not support your view that your values are different from mine, and I believe that we can not turn a blind eye to problems at the national level.This has nothing to do with us but rises to the nation and the state, we will not stand idly by, this is just my wishful thinking, please understand

Added 1 hour after

I really like this website. When I first came here, I found it so valuable that I even recommended it to my friends around me. I really don't want this little thing to cause displeasure between us, i hope it gets better and better T_T

Last updated

I find it incredibly disappointing that the lego tankman wallpaper got unfeatured for no reason other than Chinese exceptionalism. Why not unfeature the latest wallpaper too? Skulls are a major taboo in some cultures.

3840 x 21601845

Thank you for taking that picture down. I hope we can get along well and build our website together୧( ⁼̴̶̤̀ω⁼̴̶̤́ )૭

GenreLeap said:

fakenews said:

404011xz said:

Legos aren't evil.

As I said before, everyone should feel free to upload their wallpapers, including the lego 'tankman' and 通天太师's post, but it's not a good idea to feature such pictures with political controversy.

political controversy that's such a nice way to refer to state censorship

NeverSeen said:

Why not?

Yes, Lego is not evil, but it doesn't mean that it can be used to create such controversial works. Maybe because I'm from China, I'll pay more attention to creative pictures like this and I won't accept them.