Please reconsider the 'People' filter

I've brought this issue up before, but some time has past and maybe the admins think about it differently now.

My issue with this filter is that I feel like it doesn't do a proper job of filtering "people". I feel like this filter should also filter out tags for all humanoid features like "blonde", "ass", "legs", "woman", "Asian", etc. That way I can filter all the waifus and husbandos (sfw too!) out of the anime section but keep all sceneries from Makato Shinkai's movies, to name a specific case.

Can we reconsider the semantics of a 'people' filter?

Agreed, the 'people' -filter is absolutely useless as is. Toplist is two thirds full of anime people even with this filter on.

The People filter is solely and entirely for photographs of real human beings. It was never intended nor designed to filter out images that depict drawings of humans.

If you are upset that you are seeing anime characters in the Anime category instead of only anime landscapes, the People filter isn't the problem.

As for koostis, if you are trying to filter to only see People and are still seeing Anime, then those images were uploaded in the wrong category and need to be reported. That's user error, not the filter.

I'm still of the opinion that the people category should remain as is. Meaning it only contains images of real life people.

So we have a privacy filter named 'people' that hardly does anything as 9/10 of the posts on the toplist are 2D/3D drawings of women. But if a user is not in the mood at the moment for wallpapers with women or drawings of women, that user has to manually blacklist all tags related to body parts?

Perhaps instead of trying to blacklist every single tag in existence that pertains to humans and humanoid shapes, you could search for a specific tag that doesn't include them. Like searching "landscape" with only Anime selected.

GenreLeap said:

you could search for a specific tag that doesn't include them. Like searching "landscape" with only Anime selected.

But then you are locked to a specific tag. Things are not just landscape or people. You have art, vehicles, space and whatever. But this site really has a problem of having the toplist/hotlist/latest just completely filled with women. And no reasonable way to filter them out.

As of 2023-2-23 22:30 UTC. If you turn off NSFW and sketchy, the people filter does nothing for at least the first 10 pages of the toplist last month (I did not bother to test any further). The top 240 SFW wallpapers of the last month. Not a single wallpaper filtered.

So what use does this filter have? I doubt it is to protect the privacy of celebrities, actors and models. Yet our kind hearts mercilessly steal art from artist and hardly source them properly. Is it only there for weebs that hate 'real' women (like Katsuragi Keima) to easily filter out the 2D from the 3D.

Personally, I want to see the people filter changed so I can easily find wallpapers that I can show on work. Turning off anime helps, but is not preferable as it also removes the above mentioned Makato Shinkai or Studio Ghibli sceneries. Turning off sketchy does not work either. And trying the define sketchy is already blurry as fuck and depends on culture, background, tolerance of the user. So its best to not touch that.

Changing the people filter seems reasonable to me.

ChemicalX As GenreLeap said, the filter disable photos of real people. As a married guy with kids what gets wallpapers from this site to use on my kodi, having people and anime disabled helps a lot when searching for that artistic type of photo that I can use on my TV, instead of having a wife complain "Who is he?" or "Why there is woman photo on our TV?"

Instead of looking for the top list why don't change your search for recents files. Using recents files allow me to gaze into the newest wallpapers and allowed me to track the ones i alread saw, also the Anime and People when enabled on this search make differences between water and wine.

We do have a manual way to filter out entire tag categories as well which may help cut down on wanted content showing on the search listings.

Details in this post: https://wallhaven.cc/forums/thread/2346

I planned on making a UI for this and adding the option to the browsing settings, but just never got around to it. Development of the site hasn't been on my list of things to do for a while now.