Anyone know any really sad anime movies or shows?

I've seen ones like Banana fish, weathering with you, I want to eat your pancreas and anohana. The only one I actually cried to was Your Name. I need something that will make me cry pretty please

Great taste there mate, those are some good stuff. I'm kind of a softie for cute/friendship and heartfelt fiction. To add to your list: I cried with a lot of moments of Toradora!, I happy-cried at the ending of Little Witch Academia, ugly-cried with Grave of the Fireflies. I cried during my fourth run of Evangelion. Somehow being an adult makes that series hit a lot harder, specially Asuka's story. Oh yeah, cried also while watching Madoka. The ending of Kill la Kill also made me happy-cry.

On non-anime stuff: I cried watching Interstellar, The Big Fish, and also The Lion King. The fact that Simba was minutes ago singing about being king makes the death of Mufasa something that saddens me as I'm typing this.

Clannad, but you need to watch both the first season which was fine for the time but pretty dated and formulaic by today's standards. The second season however completely breaks down the normal harem anime tropes and if you even care a little bit for the characters will destroy you.

Cyberpunk from last year has an incredibly depressing ending.

There she is makes me cry but I have a special connection to it.

The movie In this corner of the world was freaking tragic.

Made in Abyss might make you cry, but it probably will at least leave you emotionally charged - I had to take a break after the movie. To give you an idea on how dark this series is, early on in the movie they show you something incredibly beautiful and immediately destroy it, basically telling you what to expect for the whole series really. (Watch season 1 before the movie, or watch the compilation movie)

If you're in to romance and school theme, School Rumble is a good one, it's about an unrequited love of a man with a stubborn personality. It's not that sad but it's definitely bittersweet. Also, it's an old silly anime full of comedy.

Additional: Breadwinner, song of the sea, these 2 doesn't hold their punches, for 3d, Pinocchio by Guillermo Del Toro.

Last updated

I suggest "A Silent Voice". I cry whenever I watch this anime movie.