[Windows] Wallomizer - lightweight and customizable slideshows

I have released a Wallomizer program!

No more need to download wallpapers manually from wallhaven.cc or to choose which folder to set for slideshow today. The goal was to make the smallest program with minimal possible performance impact. It was created on c++ using WinAPI and Wallhaven API for Windows specifically and weights less than 50 KB.

Main features:

• Running slideshow on desktop background. Collections acts as source of pictures (You can find more info about them below).
    • UI to control slideshow properties and flow.
    • Opening the source of current wallpaper.
    • Optional loading on startup.
    • Most of the time program will live in Your tray, unless You want to change some settings.

There are the following types of collections:

• Local collection. Just a folder on your HDD or SSD.
    • Wallhaven user collection. Can be filtered by purity.
    • Wallhaven search result collection. Can be filtered by category, purity, resolution, aspect ratio, dominant color, tags. You can add as many collections of these types as You want.

I'm open for Your questions, feature requests or bug reports.

Here You can download the latest release. Here is a GitHub page. And here You can see a couple of screenshots. If You want to support the project here is the link for donations.

Last updated

I would really appreciate it if You could share Your thoughts about this app.

Bridel said:

I would really appreciate it if You could share Your thoughts about this app.

Just got the DL. I will check it out and report back. Seems cool.

I attempted to use this with a broad search after putting in my API key and ended up crashing the application. Afterward, the application began to crash immediately when I executed it every time. I used the files of a local folder, and it worked fine beforehand. If you need more information, I will try to recall what other stuff I did. However, if it seems to work, the problem may end up being on my side.

tags: none, categories: anime + sketchy, resolutions: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Last updated

usavictor said:

I attempted to use this with a broad search after putting in my API key and ended up crashing the application...

I've tried to use your search settings and all seems to work as intended. So here is some troubleshooting I can suggest:

• make sure you are using the latest version (at the moment it's 1.0.2). You can check version in the .exe properties. If you need an update then go to the download link of the main post.
    • go to the "c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\" and remove the "Wallomizer" folder. It will reset the application to its default state (you will lose all saved settings and collections).
    • try to add similar search collection. If it crashes again than I need some more info, like:
      • the message that app showing while crashing;
      • your OS version;
      • folder that you're running the app from;
      • what happens after you add the collection (if it even appears in collection list, if it can update the number of images of this collection).

I hope this would be helpful. If not then write me again and we'll continue the troubleshooting.

I deleted the folder and tried again, and I realized that it works without the API key. If I add in my API key, it crashes until I delete the folder to reset it. Also, I am using Wallomizer 1.0.2 on Windows 10 Home, version 21H1

It seems you cannot input your own desired values with the keyboard in the slideshow option (that is a suggestion I want to make), and setting the slideshow time to an extremely long time (100+ hours) seems to crash the application.

Last updated

Works like a charm on Windows 10 19042. I'm using my wallhaven collection.

carlostheory said:

Works like a charm on Windows 10 19042. I'm using my wallhaven collection.

Maybe the bugs could be entirely on my end, therefore I might reset my PC to test again. Although for regular uses, it doesn't have any problems.

usavictor said:

Maybe the bugs could be entirely on my end...

I'm preparing 1.0.3 release. I've implemented your suggestion about keyboard input and fix those crashes when big numbers entered. And I think it'll fix your crash issue. I need some time to finish and test it. I'll write here when it's done.

usavictor said:

carlostheory said: Maybe the bugs could be entirely on my end...

1.0.3 version is available now. You can see changelog on download page. Hope it'll fix your issue.

how to do this - i don't want to to input anything in search , just the SFW and app can get wallpaper based on those .

PhoenixCODE said:

how to do this - i don't want to to input anything in search , just the SFW and app can get wallpaper based on those .

Hi. Just leave "Tags" field empty and it'll find every wallpaper within your category and purity.

Hey! Wallomizer 1.0.4 is available. You can download it here. It's mostly some stability improvements and bug fixes. You can find changelog on download page.

Wallomizer 1.1.0 is ready!

• application's UI reworked. Now it's more responsive, stable and intuitive
    • tray icon's context menu redone to be much more usable and compact

• full support of Unicode characters in searches, user collections and local folder paths
    • in local collection settings added option to add all subdirectories to collection

You can view full changelog on the download page.

usavictor said:

I attempted to use this with a broad search after putting in my API key and ended up crashing the application...

Finally, after only 9 month😅, I fixed this bug. Try out this release: Wallomizer 1.1.1

Testing on Windows 11 . . . so far so good

Wallomizer 1.2.0 is ready!

Features:

• Added "Stop" feature to the player. It removes wallpaper from desktop and sets chosen solid color instead. Can be used as "Panic button".
    • Added "Fit/Fill" toggle feature to the player. It sets wallpaper style by adding or removing black bars if aspect ratio of image don't match with screen aspect ratio.
    • Added "Background color" feature which sets color of desktop that is visible during "Fit" wallpaper style (black bars), or color of entire desktop when "Stop" is active. Can be found in settings.
    • Added "AI art filtering" feature in search collection settings.
    • Added tooltips to player buttons.

Fixes:

• Fixed bug with randomizer ignoring the last wallpaper in user collection.
    • Improved tray window behavior.
    • Minor performance and stability improvements.