Duplicate report questions

I'm confused about a resolution for my duplicate report:

I've reported the following image:

https://wallhaven.cc/w/ym35d7 as a duplicate of https://wallhaven.cc/w/p2yyr9

It was resolved with "edits are allowed".

Does it mean that I can take a random wallpaper, apply a random Photoshop filter and it will be consider a new and original wallpaper? Isn't it the same as those lazy edits when a sticker with an anime character is slapped on an existing wallpaper?

Artistic edits are allowed to a certain extent if they do not compromise the original quality. While we have deleted and merged low quality recolors in the past, I personally don't see any loss in quality with the color changes so it's being allowed to stay. Also since there isn't a source link it's hard to define which is the original so I figured it's best to leave them both since they're different enough for us to consider them different wallpapers.

404011xz said:

Artistic edits are allowed to a certain extent if they do not compromise the original quality. ... I personally don't see any loss in quality with the color changes so it's being allowed to stay.

So does that mean that answer to my question

Does it mean that I can take a random wallpaper, apply a random Photoshop filter and it will be consider a new and original wallpaper?

is "if the resulting quality is comparable, yes, you can and yes, it will"? E.g. it's allowed to upload the same image again (and again) with a different colour-grading (since colour-grading does not affect quality much).

defurious said:

And I agree.

With whom? =)

TheQwertiest said:

defurious said:

And I agree.

With whom? =)

With what 404011xz said. There are actually a few examples of recolored wallpapers on the site. I won't try to find any now coz it's not worth my time. They're usually in the same vein as this situation where a monochrome original is colorized and vice versa. There've even been a couple cases where the artist created different colored versions and they were all uploaded by someone. They tend to be different enough from the originals and that way users have more choices of what to download.

So I believe the answer to your original question is very much yes, you can. However, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else complained about you abusing this loophole if you did it way too often. I'm no mod or admin, though, and this is just my personal opinion on the matter.