Best book you ever read

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Fuck me this question is hard to answer.

I absolutely love the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch, but at the same time I also adore The Interstellar Age by Valmore Daniels. And then there's Safehold series by David Weber..

And not to mention all the greatness that is the Cosmere universe (Brandon Sanderson, for the uninitiated).

Recently I also fell for The Land, a LitRPG Saga by Aleron Kong. Sincerely a fascinating writing style in those books.

For those of you interested in discussing books closer, we've been talking a little bit about books on the discord. Feel free to join in at any time :)

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai is a very interesting book about personal alienation. It's more or less an autobiography.

We, The Drowned by Carsten Jensen is an interesting book about the town of Marstal in Denmark and shows how a town grows throughout the ages and how the inhabitants within it go out in the world and come back when their journeys are over.

The Millennium Series by Stieg Larson was a great series.

I also love H.P. Lovecraft's stories. They have a certain flair to them that enthralls the reader.

OscarWilde said:

JB00GIE said:

I do not read books/novels very often, but my favorite is Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (the movie was terrible).

Hmm.. I usually like to read books based on movies I've seen (since 99% of the time they're way better). Never actually knew Fear and Loathing was a book as well... May have to check that out!

OOooooooooh boy are you in for a ride. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was written by Thompson while he was taking a break from covering the 1972 presidential election in the US. He wrote a series of articles about the presidential campaign that got published as a book under the title Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72. I'd suggest you read both. But be ready, the film was only a fraction of the insanity of either book.

Oh and they are autobiographical. To an extent.

Isaac Asimov is my favorite author and the best book I've ever read was The Foundation (the whole series actually, but mostly the original trilogy); and of course my favorite genre is Sci-Fi. I also recommend Orson Scott Card with the Ender saga and the Homecoming saga. And lately I've been into the cyberpunk subgenre. I've read Neuromancer and Count Zero from William Gibson and currently reading Mona Lisa Overdrive; they're great.

If you have some good cyberpunk books suggestions feel free to share.

I wouldn't call a single book my one and only favorite, because there're simply too many of them and with different genres I have different favorites. But one of my all time favorites is definitely Matt Ruffs "Sewer, Gas & Electric - Public Works Trilogy." It's such a brilliant and weird and bizzare book. I would always advise it if someone asks me for a tip.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is a bit of cyberpunk classic.

VitalBlurs said:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is a bit of cyberpunk classic.

Thanks! Added to the list.

Non-scifi: Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle by Vladimir Nabokov Scifi: Neuromancer by William Gibson

Is impossible to say just one book or author, but Michael Crichton is the author (and his books) I discoverd as I young and get fascinated and now, as adult is more awessome than ever!

The last book I've read was The Giver, by Lois Lowry, I rated 5/5 stars.

This book surprised me, I didn't expect it to be that good! It makes you be grateful for the life we have, the world we're living in (although there are many things wrong with people who create war).

Harry Potter

Howard Bloom "The God Problem: How A Godless Cosmos Creates" , "The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History"

Neil deGrasse Tyson - Death by Black Hole And Other Cosmic Quandaries

Dan Brown - Digital Fortress

Annie Jacobsen - Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins

Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? , The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch , The Man in the High Castle , The Divine Invasion

OscarWilde said:

I read the 'Sword of Truth' series by Terry Goodkind once a year (just about time to start again this year). It's pretty incredible... it gets a little convoluted by the latter books, but the first half is some of my all time favorite fantasy writing!

wow, yes, before going into this thread I said to myself: "I surely hope at least one recommends SoT / WFR" - it's too good for NOT ending up on any Best book thread. Thank Creator I was right. :) Wizard's First Rule (book 1) is just mindblowing. I just can't speak enough good praise about this epic tale. Here are some Reviews, Quotes within reviews, and partly written and-or altered reviews in case of sensitive and-or unrelated information, or spoilers:

"Goodkind does an exemplary job of making you care about his characters."

"This is by far one of the best first books in a massively produced genre that hosts many fantasy series, sagas, and great authors. Goodkind really keeps readers involved and anxious with his descriptive, creative, and intriguing writing style. There is just enough action to get you involved and just enough dialogue to get a true fell for the characters. He doesn't go over the top with pages of meaningless descriptive nonsense like some other authors seem to always do. Truly an original piece of work, filled with a world full of new creatures and ideas. This is one of the books that I blame for really getting me so interested in reading in the first place, and anyone that picks this one up will not put it down until the last page."

"I had never read any fantasy books prior to 1998. But both of my sons were so excited by the book, and had successfully convinced all their friends to read it, that when they encouraged me to try it, I did. I have never been sorry for their suggestion. Terry Goodkind writes the kind of fantasy that, even for someone NOT familiar with the genre, they will immediately understand and enjoy this literary style. Terry has created well developed characters, themes, realms, villians, and subplots that keep you turning page after page, not wanting to put the book down. It is the premiere story in "The Sword of Truth" series, an epic that now spans over a dozen books. In my humble opinion, it even outshines Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" saga."

"Not quite sure where to begin with this book. I have read it several times (in soft cover edition) and decided to buy the hardcover version because I loved it so much. I bought this book originally on a whim, with some left over money, and now I own the entire series, all 12 books. The author makes you think with these books, makes you think about your own life. His writing style creates vivid images in your head, with the perfect mixture of description, and actual story. Characters are real, and you can relate to them (in the oddest ways sometimes) Book has moderate vocabulary, not 'baby' words like all these new series like twilight, and harry potter. Sentences are beautifully written. Overall ? I highly recommend it. There's only 20 or so books that I have in display for easy access, out of almost 400 books and 12 of those books are the Sword of Truth series, which this is the debut of."

"I first read Wizard's First Rule several years ago and got hooked very quickly. Terry Goodkind's skills at character building are amazing and his stiry telling made you wish there were more time in the day to read."

"This is the First book in the Epic fantasy series The Sword of Truth. This is a perfect fantasy series. One that has gripped me from the first pages. I couldn't get enough of Richard Cypher and the beautiful Kahlan Amnell. The struggle that infolds grips you from the first pages. If you are a lover of Fantasy and you haven't read this book. Go to the book store now! You won't be disappointed!"

"Excellent characters, which the author develops so well."

"One of the greatest adventure/fantasy novels ever written. The start of it all the Wizards First Rule will pull the reader in with exceptional detail and dynamic characters. Terry Goodkind is a literary master."

"Richard is following a destiny he didn't know about. Kahlan finds Richard in his world when the boundary collapses. The beginning is witnessing the birth of a legend. This keeps you going through all 836 pages and leaves you wanting to read the next book as soon as possible."

"Awesome book beginning an awesome serie. If you like fantasy, you will be served. I read this entire book in under 5 days... I couldnt sleep without reading another chapter."

"Excellent character development with the story complexity to match."

"Whether or not you enjoy fantasy I would recommend this book because the characters are very real and easily related to the plots are deep, the descriptions are amazing, and the whole series will soon become a favorite!"

"This is my all time favorite book! I highly recommend this book as an introduction to the Sword of Truth series. For anyone seeking out a new, great and exciting fantasy series. You'll never forget the endearing characters. As you all set out on an unforgettable journey to Seek the Truth. Something Fresh and New for your reading enjoyment."

"This book will grip your imagination and leave you wanting for more. Not only do you finish and then do you realize that your world views and your very own perception have been thrown out the window. With philosophical questions that leave them up to you to answer, Terry Goodkind leaves you to find out the meanings within the words. Must Read!!! Must Buy!!! You will not regret reading it!!! Best Read of a lifetime !!!"

"I honestly thought that the Lord of the Rings was a great collection but Terry Goodkind leaves you wanting to finish every book!"

"I love this series. Unlike other books in a series, these stories actually end with the book you were reading, so you don't get left hanging. But you still want to read the next book to see what happens next. Terry Goodkind is a great author, that makes you feel and understand the character's you're reading about."

"This is an amazing series about good vs evil, magic, warriors, beautiful ladies, and problems that must be solved. I have read the entire series and recommend it often. The size of the books may be daunting, but you will be lost in a world of magic that you don't even realize you have just read 500 pages. It is a wonderful escape from reality!"

"First in a multiple series of books. Highly recommend this can put down story! Will leave you running to the book store for the 2nd book!"

"You'll read it until it falls apart!"

"Fantastic story if you like fantasy type novels more adult themed than most of this genre , The whole series of books delivers."

"Amazing story line, with characters rich in personality.It's impossible not to be drawn into this book.A true must read that will take you on a fast paced ride you will not want to end."

"Oh my what can I say....I couldn't put it down! Absolutely an epic story with great action and comedy. Wizards first rule is so true as well....."

"Extremely entertaining book."

"Great series! Read it. I understand some people can't get into fantasy books. Well, I say that's it's their loss; not to mention most people with a feeble intellect wouldn't understand these works regardless. In closing, if you enjoy high fantasy, forgotten realms, etc... give this series a chance. You won't be disappointed."

"The book is one of the greatest fantasy stories ever written."

"I am hooked now."

Well well, sorry for perhaps going a bit overboard, but a) if you like reading books you certainly aren't bothered of reading a lot of text, and b) I alone could not convey with the same impact as these wonderful quotes above help me do. Ultimately I just want to greatly tip this great author / book / series. ALSO, when 1st book has been read, one cannot imagine the power the second book will unleash. In my opinion: it is even better! This is my fav. series by a long mile ... if you couldn't guess. :)

Dracula by Bram Stoker. I read a lot as I prepare for the exam. I hope I can write an essay, but I'm preparing for the worst, which is to order an essay. I am currently looking for a service where I can order an essay and it seems that it suits me .

Last updated

F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby

Cloud Atlas. David Mitchell just has a way of making every single character seem so human and relatable

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Read it in one afternoon waiting for my then girlfriend to get off work at a hotel. Read it in the parking lot on a beautiful day and day dreamt about the futility of our existence and the dark humor behind it.

my favourate book is The Gunslinger[/color] by Stephen King. The very first words were "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.", and I remember thinking... epic! I later learned it was part of [color=#ffff66]The Dark Tower[/color] book series, and I just could not stop until I read all the books in the series. The way the books seamlessly go from a western to fantasy creatures to magic to romance and heartbreak to mad modern tech and back again, it was just a fantastic experience. These are the only books of King I have read, but I am a fan for life.

I'm not an eloquent person nor am I smart, my likes are simple, it's the Great Gatsby and all of Agatha Christie books that involves Hercule Poirot. Open to recommendations too if anyone has a good Detective books or Complicated story books.

"1984" by George Orwell