Warnings on non-standard resolution uploads

Wallhaven has mostly become a dump of random images instead of actually wallpapers nowadays. You can hardly find images with real screen resolutions, instead you see a lot of 1920x1280, 2880x1920, 5760 x 3840, 2000x1333 and other resolutions that are not standard, as in they do not fit a screen properly.

It would be useful to warn users about that and maybe provide a tool to help cutting wallpapers to reasonable resolutions, instead of just allowing anything. There's already Flickr for random images.

In the tools area for a wallpaper there is the crop and scale feature. Also, if you want to look for specific ratios or resolutions you can do so by adjusting the search settings right next to where you pick sfw sketchy and nsfw.

I know how to use the website, man, I've been here for years. But now it's just a dump of random images and not proper wallpapers. It's not the same.

Because a lot of images in slightly non-standard sizes still look great as wallpapers as long as the proportions make sense? A lot of my all-time favourites are in "non-standard" resolutions but the pictures are just amazing. I had this masterpiece on my desktop for half an eternity:

2580 x 171541

2580 x 1715. Looks amazing on both my 24" and my ancient 19" side screen.

ranisalt said:

I know how to use the website, man, I've been here for years. But now it's just a dump of random images and not proper wallpapers. It's not the same.

You asked for a tool to help cut wallpapers to reasonable resolutions. To me it just seemed like you were not aware of the features I presented to you. Also, as vin has said just because it is a "non-standard" resolution does not mean it is bad. Does it bother me when I find an amazing 1920x1081 wallpaper? Yeh, but if it's a great wallpaper I don't care if it stretches that one pixel.

Well, you are presenting me examples where the resolutions are just slightly off of common resolutions, respectively 2560x1600 and 1920x1080, but I'm talking about some images almost squared that you can see, and even some wallpapers completely unfit for wallpapers, like under 1300x700.

Also, the search utility doesn't account for those slightly off resolutions, so you either crawl through a lot of unfit images or don't see these nice images slightly unfit at all. That bothers me, and I even favorited plenty of wallpapers just a couple of pixels off :(

That said, my suggestion can be of a more complete cropping utility, one that permits scaling and changing the gravity/box. Currently, IIRC, it just resizes and crops to the center, right?

ranisalt Referring to your initial suggestion:

It would be useful to warn users about that and maybe provide a tool to help cutting wallpapers to reasonable resolutions, instead of just allowing anything.

Anytime something gets cropped we lose a part of an image that someone might have use for.

Let's say someone has a 1900x1080 upload, i.e. just shy of the common FullHD resolution. That resolution is somewhere in between the common 16:9 and 16:10 ratios. If we force users to crop it down to a 16:9 ratio that would mean cutting off a little bit at the top and/or bottom, so we'd end up with 1900:1069. That's even weirder, so next we could force them to scale it down to the common 1600:900 resolution. At that point we've lost a lot of pixels and someone who would have quite happily upscaled the original to FullHD (only 1%) will instead be disappointed by a significantly blurrier image (upscaled by 20%). Along comes someone with a 16:10 monitor. In order to avoid stretching the wallpaper he has to crop again, this time from the sides down to 1440:900. With access to the original he'd have to crop a lot less and only in one direction, down to 1720:1080.

So no, forcing uploaders to crop their wallpapers is a bad idea. Ultimately we'd just end up with people uploading multiple resolutions of the same wallpaper (one per common ratio, i.e. 16:9, 16:10, 5:4, 4:3, …). And then someone else comes along and wants the wallpaper cropped slightly differently and uploads yet another version… That's the situation we used to have and it was quite horrible.

Instead we offer a simple tool to crop wallpapers when downloading, as you already know. And, as you've correctly pointed out, this tool is fairly minimal and always crops to the center. This covers the vast majority of use cases, while functionality to cover the remaining few cases would mean substantially more work for us. It just isn't worth it. If you want more control over the precise cropping of a wallpaper there are plenty of excellent, free image editing tools out there. I'd also like to point out that on most operating systems you don't need to manually crop/scale a wallpaper at all because the desktop settings utility will do it automatically.