Cross referencing old numerical IDs with the new-style hashes?

Hi everyone,

First of all, well done on the successful upgrade. I know it's been a long time coming.

Since joining this board back in its Alpha days, I've collected over a thousand wallpapers that my OS cycles through on a random basis. Quite often, I do find myself looking up old wallpapers I've saved previously to see who the uploader was or remind myself who or what the subject of the wallpaper is from their tags. That was simple enough to do when I could rely on the wallpaper's numerical based filename to determine its URL.

For example, on the old site, I could easily look up the metadata for wallhaven-775318.jpg by going to https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/775318

Would it be possible for you to generate 301 redirects so that our old alpha links still work? e.g. https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/775318 => https://wallhaven.cc/w/dgegxl

Doing this would also have the added benefit of ensuring that the upgraded site does not take a massive hit in SEO rankings.

If that's not feasible, then is there any way for us as users to translate an old ID "775318" to its new hash/ID of "dgegxl" ourselves?

Thanks, Netsnipe

Last updated

I second this.

I have categorized thousands of wallpapers according to numerical name. Now I cannot cross reference any of my existing wallpapers to new wallpapers on the site.

Thanks Tazzmanian

HI all, AksumkA thanks for a great job!

I have the same problem, maybe exist some algorithm to convert an old ID to a new ID? or in another way, from new to old?

Thanks

Last updated

I end up needing this more often than not. I'm currently moving my offline wallpaper collection to Wallhaven collections to spare disk space and I can't find some more generic wallpapers I had from before.

Even if you don't want to expose this publicly because you're afraid of bots and scrappers smashing this website again, then might I suggest making such a lookup function only available via the API to people who created their accounts and/or uploaded content during the alpha?

Last updated

I really find the need for the old numbering system. When saving several wallpapers from a specific set or sequence the current numbering system throws them all over the show within a folder

In order to ID wallpapers downloaded under the old numerical filename scheme, I've been reduced to re-uploading my wallpapers in order to trigger duplicate detection! 😕

Netsnipe said:

In order to ID wallpapers downloaded under the old numerical filename scheme, I've been reduced to re-uploading my wallpapers in order to trigger duplicate detection! 😕

That's what I've done too. Hopefully this feature can be added.

if you have your old wallpapers in the search box there is the picture of a camera. If you press that you can upload an image and it'll do the "similar to this" search.

404011xz said:

if you have your old wallpapers in the search box there is the picture of a camera. If you press that you can upload an image and it'll do the "similar to this" search.

Thanks for the shortcut 404011xz! Much appreciated.

I'm also looking for this option. I would to update the filenames on my wallspapers to the new letter/number format instead of only having the older numerical format for crossreference them in the future.

Tazzmanian said:

I really find the need for the old numbering system. When saving several wallpapers from a specific set or sequence the current numbering system throws them all over the show within a folder

My personal suggestion is that you could add a "_01" at the end of each file but this would need to be done manually.

So it would be something link: "dgegxl_01.jpg", "dgegxl_02.jpg", etc.