Dealing with multiple resolutions

There's also the case where I was unable to find the source image and 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 were cut from a little different parts of an image, or for example 1920x1080 was downsized to 'touch the window from outside' as it says in MPC and 1920x1200 was simply cut from, say, a 2048x1536 image, thus both each wall had some data the other didn't. What I'm saying is, deleting duplicates is good, but if you're not sure then 2 similar walls is better(and that's where grouping would still be useful).

I don't crop my walls, fit to screen works flawlessly and I always get annoyed at wallpaper sites that have all the popular resolutions up to 4k, even if source is way smaller, I often have trouble finding the source because of then, so thumbs up for doing it client side!

I might be a bit late to the party but I'm all for only 1 kept wallpaper as long as it's the highest IQ (which is not equal to the highest res) in most cases it should be the highest res, except for upscales.

but I didn't need to mention that, or did I ?

also one exception could be triple wide screens D4oS said:

There's also the case where I was unable to find the source image and 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 were cut from a little different parts of an image, or for example 1920x1080 was downsized to 'touch the window from outside' as it says in MPC and 1920x1200 was simply cut from, say, a 2048x1536 image, thus both each wall had some data the other didn't. What I'm saying is, deleting duplicates is good, but if you're not sure then 2 similar walls is better(and that's where grouping would still be useful). I don't crop my walls, fit to screen works flawlessly and I always get annoyed at wallpaper sites that have all the popular resolutions up to 4k, even if source is way smaller, I often have trouble finding the source because of then, so thumbs up for doing it client side!

true enough, however there's also the case where it's 1920x1080 + 1280x800 (instead of 1920x1200) in which case I dare believe that a little bit more information on whichever side, doesn't compensate for the lost definition, and the 1280x could be deleted in my opinion.

I think the same as @dwemer, highest resolution of different ratios should stay.

Not sure if this will get its own thread or not, but we've killed wallpaper grouping. Reports for adding a wall to a group will be cleared.

So from here on, no more reporting walls to add them to a group.

AksumkA said:

Not sure if this will get its own thread or not, but we've killed wallpaper grouping. Reports for adding a wall to a group will be cleared. So from here on, no more reporting walls to add them to a group.

Why is that ? You totally gave up on working against duplicates ?

I got a bunch of notifications saying my duplicates reports have been cleared because of "Different resolution". What is the interest of the "Crop & Scale" (awesome) feature then ?

shadomare said:

Why is that ? You totally gave up on working against duplicates ? I got a bunch of notifications saying my duplicates reports have been cleared because of "Different resolution". What is the interest of the "Crop & Scale" (awesome) feature then ?

The grouping method we had before relied on staff manually adding wallpapers to the groups. This was a nightmare.

We'll have a new dupe detection system very soon that will also allow us to do the same thing grouping did automatically.

I am a bit confused as for your guidelines regarding duplicates right now. On the first post you did state, that you merge each wallpaper, except for common resolutions and that you keep the biggest ones. That is what happened to my uploaded duplicates in the past.

But it did happen to me twice now, that I reported a wallpaper of a different size, not a common screen size, and the reported had been rejected, because of different size.

Does this mean, that you allow duplicates again from now on? But why have my duplicates been removed lately? It would be great, if you could explain a bit further, which rules apply at the moment.

This is the wallpaper I did report:

[yjpw3l]

And this is the bigger one I also did upload before the other one:

5436 x 362465

Here's another example - Uploaded later:

2333 x 155587

Uploaded before the other one:

2048 x 136549

Both of the times I got: " A wallpaper you reported has been cleared Info: different resolution"

Again, non of those wallpapers is having a common screen size. It would be great to have some strict guidelines. Personally I don't get, why you're havin a crop and scale function, if you still allow duplicates of different resolutions. And would that mean, that if I upload the same wallpaper with another resoulition, that you won't merge it, as long as it is a common screen resolution?

Tbh - This is a bit confusing to me...

If as for example these and there are more!

[2kqj7m]

NSFWYou need to be logged in to view this wallpaper.
    2560 x 170785
    4000 x 266795

[2k3r19] [3krdwy]

Yes. And there are many more from Motta, from me and many other users. Find them, report them and they will be deleted. I can only guess but there must be a Backlog of thousands of reported Walls. :-)

Last updated